Snake bites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshco8

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has ever experienced getting bit by a snake while hiking or backpacking? What kind? What did you do for first aid? This is something I never think about and I would like to know exactly what to do if myself or somebody I knew ever got into this situation. Even if you've never been bit, any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

Never been bit by a snake while hiking or backpacking ... but as a kid I picked up a few bites while handling snakes from the woodpile and stone walls around my house. In my experience, snakes won't bite you unless they feel they're about to be grabbed. Snakes on the trail almost always slither off as you get within a few feet. (One exception: on a Downeast offshore island, we encountered a snake that we thought was dead. I started handling it to show my family. Amazingly enough, within 5 seconds of being picked up, the limp snake came to life and was apparently fine. Best guess is that it was torpid on that cool evening, and the shock of being handled freaked it out enough to wake it up.)

I've been bitten by garter snakes, but only while (mis)handling them. I've never had a snake strike at me without me reaching my fingers for its head first. Even then, most of the time the snake won't bite. I've also had a few encounters with Eastern Ribbon snakes and Northern Water Snakes (very cool), but they were more interested in getting away than in attacking.

So what if a non-venomous snake bites you? First of all, it doesn't hurt that badly. Most NE snakes are relatively small, and their teeth are sharp -- so they puncture your hand rather than crush or tear it. The garter snake bites I've seen and felt were all quick strike-release-and-run bites, not the kind in cartoons where the snake dangles from your hand like a rope. As a kid, I never treated the wounds very seriously; you bleed a little, and you'd probably want to wash the wound and treat it like any other puncture. Monitor for infection over the next few days.

Venomous snakes are another subject altogether. I often daydreamed about finding a cottonmouth while wading through swamps around my house as a kid, but ended up contenting myself with snapping turtles and night-herons. You're on your own there!

Wrapping it up, I think you're very unlikely to be bitten unless you try to handle the snake. Remember that any encounter is likely more stressful for the snake than for you. There aren't very many good reasons to try to pick up a snake with your hands. With that in mind, you're quite safe.

el-bagr is right on. You should worry a lot more about being struck by lightning.
I believe the only venomous snakes in New England are copperheads and timber rattlers, and both are extremely rare here. I've certainly never seen either one outside of a zoo.

Rattlesnake venom includes anticoagulants, so the old "cut a big X and suck" treatment is no longer recommended. (I couldn't find a clear answer on whether copperhead venom is an anticoagulant too, but they are related to rattlesnakes.) Note that some (20%+) snake bites are "dry" - no venom is injected.

Copperheads are less venomous and not agressive, but they do not make a preliminary defensive display when threatened and thus can be stepped on accidentally, leading to a bite.

----from the FDA (http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/995_snakes.html)--
[note: this refers to venomous bites - no treatment needed for garters, ribbons, racers, water snakes...]
---
First Aid for Snakebites

Over the years, snakebite victims have been exposed to all kinds of slicing, freezing and squeezing as stopgap measures before receiving medical care. Some of these approaches, like cutting into a bite and attempting to suck out the venom, have largely fallen out of favor.

"In the past five or 10 years, there's been a backing off in first aid from really invasive things like making incisions," says Arizona physician David Hardy, M.D., who studies snakebite epidemiology. "This is because we now know these things can do harm and we don't know if they really change the outcome."

Many health-care professionals embrace just a few basic first-aid techniques. According to the American Red Cross, these steps should be taken:

* Wash the bite with soap and water.
* Immobilize the bitten area and keep it lower than the heart.
* Get medical help.

"The main thing is to get to a hospital and don't delay," says Hardy. "Most bites don't occur in real isolated situations, so it is feasible to get prompt [medical care]." He describes cases in Arizona where people have caught rattlesnakes for sport and gotten bitten. "They waited until they couldn't stand the pain anymore and finally went to the hospital after the venom had been in there a few hours. But by then, they'd lost an opportunity for [effective treatment]," which increased the odds of long-term complications. Some medical professionals, along with the American Red Cross, cautiously recommend two other measures:

* If a victim is unable to reach medical care within 30 minutes, a bandage, wrapped two to four inches above the bite, may help slow venom. The bandage should not cut off blood flow from a vein or artery. A good rule of thumb is to make the band loose enough that a finger can slip under it.
* A suction device may be placed over the bite to help draw venom out of the wound without making cuts. Suction instruments often are included in commercial snakebite kits.

Treatment Drawbacks

Antivenins have been in use for decades and are the only effective treatment for some bites. "Antivenins have a fairly good safety record," according to Don Tankersley, former deputy director of the FDA's Division of Hematology. "There are sometimes reactions to them, even life-threatening reactions, but then you're treating a life-threatening situation. It's clearly a case of weighing the risks versus the benefits."

People previously treated with horse-derived antivenin for snakebites probably will develop a lifelong sensitivity to horse products. To identify these and other sensitive patients, hospitals typically obtain a record of the victim's experience with snakebites or horse products. But some people with no history of such exposures may have become sensitive through contact with horses, or possibly through exposure to horse dander, and be unaware that they are sensitive. Others may be sensitive without any known or remembered contact with horses. So hospitals also perform a skin test that may quickly show any sensitivity. However, the test also can give a false-positive or false-negative skin reaction. Some hypersensitive patients may even have severe reactions to the small amount of antivenin used in the skin test. Hospitals usually treat patients with serious allergic reactions by administering epinephrine. Some victims with positive skin tests can be desensitized by gradually administering small amounts of antivenin.

Certain venomous snakebites may be treated without using antivenin. This is usually a judgment call the doctor makes based on the snake's size and other factors, which normally involves close monitoring of patients in a medical facility.

"In some areas, such as desert areas, most rattlesnakes are small and don't have as potent a venom," says Hall. "You might get by with those patients in not using antivenin." But with other snakes, Hall says, antivenin can be a lifesaver. For example, the Eastern diamondback rattlesnake--found in large numbers in the region of Georgia where Hall practices medicine and in other Southern states from the Carolinas to Louisiana--can reach six feet in length and deliver a potent payload of venom. "It's an enormously dangerous bite that requires very aggressive treatment [with antivenin] or the patient will die," Hall says.
Treatment Dilemmas

Because not all snakebites, including those from the same species, are equally dangerous, doctors sometimes face a dilemma over whether or not to administer antivenin. Venomous snakes, even dangerous ones like the Eastern diamondback, don't always release venom when they bite. Other snakes may release too small an amount to pose a hazard.

Another complicating factor is the diverse potency of venom. "Venom can vary within species and even within litter mates--brothers and sisters," says Arizona physician Hardy. For example, he says, a common pit viper in the Southwest, the Mojave rattlesnake, may carry a powerful neurotoxic venom in some areas and a less toxic one in others.

Hall's work in Georgia and Florida shows that factors such as genetic differences among snakes, their age, nutritional status, and the time of year also can affect venom potency. All these variables make it nearly impossible for doctors to characterize a "typical" venomous snakebite. That's why there exists what Hall calls "so much controversy" about snakebite treatment.

The solution, Hall says, lies with the patient. "Truly the only way to look at snakebites is on an individual basis and on the patient's actual reaction to the venom." Basic signs like pain, swelling and bleeding, along with more complicated reactions such as ecchymosis (purple discoloration), necrosis (tissue dies and turns black), low blood pressure, and tingling of lips and tongue give medical professionals clues to the seriousness of bites and what treatment route they should take.

Some experts emphasize that, although antivenin can effectively reverse the effects of venom and save life and limb, there is no guarantee that it can reverse damage already done, such as tissue necrosis. Some patients may later require skin grafts or other treatment. Arizona physician Hardy says the potential for limiting complications is one compelling reason to seek medical treatment as soon as possible after a snakebite.

Last edited:
I had a run-in with a copperhead when I was a kid hiking along a feeder canal of the Old Erie Canal. Two of my friends stepped over it thinking it was part of an old tire. As I approached, it coiled up in strike position. I backed off and nothing came of it. The fact that it got stepped over twice before reacting shows how unlikely they are to strike.

I stepped on some type of large snake along the Genesee River in Rochester. It whalloped me and immediately slithered off. A couple of scratches from it's "teeth-nubs", but that was the extent of it.

Got bit several times as a kid catching garter snakes. I've been bit harder by ants.

Don't worry about snakes. They'll get out of your way if possible. You have a MUCH greater chance of tripping breaking an ankle than you do of getting bit in the ankle.

Question

Excellent Posts and Excellent Question.

I have almost no experience with snakes but I never worry about them, at least in the NE US. However, I have a question... I understand that snakes will strike if you try to pick them up. However, will they strike if say, you turn the corner and startle one (ie. if you nearly step on one) or will they generally try to go away.

I'm glad it's not like the cartoons though where the guy goes running away and there's 15 or 20 snakes attached to him like leeches.

-Dr. Wu

I think, in most cases, you'd actually have to step on (or be within mere inches of) them before they bit.

We have a large garter snake that hangs out on the south side of our house. I've seen him nearly every warm day for the past two years. He's never tried to bite. My wife doesn't even mind him anymore.

I've seen several eastern diamondbacks right next to hiking trails. At no time was there any concern of them getting aggresive.

One of them was on the AT in Shenandoh NP, in a sunny area just below a car pullout. I walked right past it without noticing it. My hiking partner behind me saw it and freaked out (performing a classic stationary mobile panic routine) grabbing the third guy in our group to pull him away from it. When he started shouted "snake!", I turned around to go back and get a look. Apparently, his behavior was disturbing to the snake. By the time I got back there (yes, I ran toward the snake) I saw the thing "running" away as fast as it could giving a brief rattle while on the run.

Another very memorable rattler was next to a trail in the fingerlakes of NY. I estimated its length to be about 48". It just laid there while I took all sorts of photos from only a couple feet away. It never displayed any sort aggressive or fearful behavior. A couple of weeks later, I was with another friend on the same trail and we saw what I think was the same snake. Again, the same behavior of just laying there until my partner decided to poke at it with a stick. It rattled a few times and slithered away.

I've heard that biting and dispensing venom is a high energy activity for a snake. It also robs the snake of the venom it needs to subdue its food. Either staying still or running away is much easier for the snake. From my experiences, I would say that is very true.

Hike in Maine - to my understanding it is the only state with no poisonous snakes. :)

tonycc said:
I've heard that biting and dispensing venom is a high energy activity for a snake. It also robs the snake of the venom it needs to subdue its food. Either staying still or running away is much easier for the snake. From my experiences, I would say that is very true.
I've read that adults ration their venom and therefore may not inject a full load. Young'uns, however, may not have learned to ration yet.

I've also read that a species of SW desert rattler (Mohave Rattlesnake?) has been getting more vicious. (Stupid) humans have been catching/killing the tamer ones causing the gene pool to drift toward vicious.

BTW, while this thread has focused on the Whites, there are significant populations of timber rattlers on Tongue Mtn, near the DAKS.

Doug

Snakes are the most remarkable animals going, and there is little to worry about as far as encountering harmful snakes in the Northeast. Even in the rare instance of getting bitten by a rattlesnake or copperhead, chances are that you're going to come out of it with little more than being uncomfortable for a while....unless you panic after getting bitten. If you stay calm on your way to the doctors after getting bitten by one of those two snakes, you'll have nothing to worry about.

The biggest concern in the United States would be to get bitten by a coral snake, since it's venom, like the cobra's, attacks your central nervous system. These snakes are only found in certain parts of the South and rarely even seen, but sometimes king snakes are mistaken for them because of the coloring.

I've had snakes as pets for many years in the past and they're the most fascinating creatures around!

Like others have said, most snakes won't bite unless you really agitate them, and even if they do bite you, they're usually not going to be harmful bites. BTW, the snakes that are most likely to bite are water snakes, including poisonous ones like the Southern water moccasins (cottonmouths), or even the non-poisonous water snakes of the Northeast. Snakes living around the water can get pretty moody and are more likely to give you a little nip.

Last edited: