Whiteface and Esther

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Sikes

Reaction score
We are thinking of doing Whiteface and Esther over the weekend and was wondering how these are? ....I know Esther has an unmarked part....how is that?

The Sikes said:
We are thinking of doing Whiteface and Esther over the weekend and was wondering how these are? ....I know Esther has an unmarked part....how is that?

It's been a few years since we did it, but we found it to be relatively easy, starting at the research center parking lot and following the old ski trail up Marble Mt., which eventually connects to the Whiteface trail (be sure to note this junction for the return). The turnoff is, if I remember correctly, is a right-hand turn beyond the wooden shelter (which is on the left). I seem to recall a cairn or some sort of marker at the turnoff (there are some false ones before it). Please someone correct my foggy memory on this. Once on the trail it was easy, though it descends to a swampy col. I believe it was best to stay to the right of the swampy area. It then climbs gradually to the summit. Whiteface, on a clear day, was magnificent as you climb out over the open rocks. At one point I think we had to climb over the wall and walk a short distance, then re-enter the trail. Once on top, it's a mental adjustment to meet cars and people in their street clothes.

Again, foggy memory here.

Dick

I did Esther last year. The herd path turn-off is marked by an unmistakably large cairn. Go right, climb a small hill (Lookout Mtn.?), descend to a small swamp (which you go straight through, angling right), gently ascend a few rises until you're at the summit.

This is one of the most obvious herd paths I've ever hiked. A fun little peak though. Enjoy! :)

Cross-posted with Dick. I believe I used the lower trailhead, which ascends more steeply but one doesn't have to worry about any turnoff before the cairn marking the way to Esther.

Last edited:
The Sikes said:
....I know Esther has an unmarked part....how is that?

You'll never be able to tell. The herd path is so well defined you'll need nothing but eyes to follow it. Otherwise, it's a pretty straight forward hike. There are several ways to go, but if you have the ability to spot a car, I would suggest going up via the Atmospheric Reaserch Center (the left just before the toll booth) heading up the trail over Marble & Lookout Mountain. You can't miss the path over to Esther (there is a big cairn that marks it). The trip over and back takes a little over an hour. From there it's a east jaunt up to Whiteface.

From the summit, head off the other side of the peak and head down towards Connery Pond (via Whiteface Landing). I really enjoyed that side of the peak. HOWEVER, If you can't spot a car, you'll have to head off Whiteface the way you came (skipping the Esther portion of course) and back over Lookout & Marble Mts..

All and all, it's a pretty easy hike. I saved it for last, and to be quite truthful, celebrating our 46th peak was really the only thing appealing about a SUMMERTIME Whiteface visit. Sure the view is nice, but nice views are found in so many places here. Nicedays are way to crowded for my liking. There are so many BETTER choices in my book. I hear it makes a great ski in winter though :D

by the way, how did you make out on your last trip, I never did follow-up. I meant to, just forgot.

Last edited:
A few weeks ago, I went for a walk on the Esther path with the path maintainer. It is in VERY good condition and VERY easy to follow. There are still one or two easy-to-stepover/gounder pieces of blowdown. There is also a wetish section soon after lookout mountain.

I don't remember if there was a cairn or not at the start of the path, but it is SO easy to find, it really doesn't make a difference. As was said, if you're hiking up from the air-studying place, it a bit past that 'shelter' You hit that shelter after the climbing starts to ease off. That 'shelter' looks more like a dog house than anything else... a dog house for a small dog.

As mentioned the Esther path is straight forward. On a nice holiday weekend there will be a TON of people/noise on Whiteface. Have fun.

mavs00 said:
it's a pretty easy hike. I saved it for last, and to be quite truthful, celebrating our 46th peak was really the only thing appealing about a SUMMERTIME Whiteface visit. Sure the view is nice, but nice views are found in so many places here. Nicedays are way to crowded for my liking. There are so many BETTER choices in my book. I hear it makes a great ski in winter though :D

Hey Mavs, I did Whiteface last. The allure was meeting non-hiking family at the top for a nice celebration.

There are 2 other ways to do Whiteface. You can charter a boat from Lake Placid and be dropped off at the far shore. That's what we did. It's about the same elevation as the Atmospheric center. It was pretty cool to boat over to the landing and then walk up. This is probably the least used trail up Whiteface. It's mostly in the woods until you get pretty close to the top. For getting back, you either have to contact the boat company or spot a car at the other end.

And finally, you can walk up the ski slopes and then (I'm told), there is a herd path from the top of the slopes to the summit. But, I have no first hand knowledge of this.

There was a very good thread here about Esther maybe a year and a half ago, pre-crash.
http://www.adirondackjourney.com has an excellent photo-guide to this and most other summits.

My dog & I did just Esther in September '03. We somewhat deliberately took pretty much the whole day to do it, although considering that I hike at the pace of an arthritic snail and we took several extended breaks, half that time is more than most folks here would require.
We found lots more good views on this route and at Esther's summit than it gets credit for having. Do bring plenty of water, though. The route's bone-dry of anything potable, at least during dry spells.

From the trailhead at Wilmington Reservoir (off Whiteface Memorial Highway), the trail up Marble is typical -- very rocky with occasional little mud-wallows even in dry weather -- nothing at all steep, but relentlessly uphill without relief. The trail junction near the summit of Marble was marked with a very small cairn right on the trail. Continuing straight ahead, after a steeper stretch the grade eases a bit toward Lookout. The toboggan shed on the south side of the DEC trail means you're close to the start of the herdpath for Esther. Can't miss it, it's five minutes past the shed and marked with a very large cairn. Several cairns atop Lookout indicate paths to campsites, just bear left and head downward. The infamous bog is now well and easily skirted to the right by the herdpath. The grade is pretty easy and although the path is quite narrow toward the top it's a snap to follow. Little-loved Esther turns out to afford a largely open little summit with surprisingly nice views east and southeast and Whiteface huge to the south.
Can't comment on Whiteface, I'm saving that for #46 (sometime in the 22nd century, at this rate).

Happy trails --
Uncle Butch

Sikes Family, enjoy the look of the people who had to 'endure' the 200+ ft. elevator ride to get to the top. Some people will be astounded that you walked to the top when you could have driven up for alot less effort. Then there are the real go-getters, who climb the stairs to the top from the Castle. To each his own.