From what non-high peak can you see the most Adk high peaks?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steppinwolf

Reaction score
I'm wondering if it's from Vanderwhacker Mt south of Newcomb. My wife and I hiked that beautiful mountain yesterday and we were amazed at the number of high peaks we could see from the fire tower. In addition to Marcy & the Great Range, the Macintyre Range, Colden, Skylight, Colvin, Sawteeth, the Dixes, and all of those in that vicinity, there were so many other of the more remote peaks in view like Allen, Couchsachraga, Hough, Macomb, Santanoni, Panther, Marshall, etc. Most of them were between 14 and 20 miles away as the crow flies, though.

Any other mountains come to mind that give you a view of the most high peaks? Ampersand must be right up there, too, although I forget just how many you can see from that nice summit.

BTW, the first part of the dirt road leading to the Vanderwhacker trailhead is a nightmare.

I have never counted them, but I think the fire tower on Adams provides closer and as many high peaks as Vanderwacker. Goodnow may also offer as many (but again very distant). Noonmark, Pitchoff, and Jo are great viewing platforms, but with fewer high peaks visible.

Another alternative question would be what non high peak without the aid of a tower offers the most high peak views?

Mount Jo?

What about something like Pyramid? Or wouldn't that count because it's part of a High Peak?

How's the view from Noonmark? Hurricane? What's that one near Ray Brook—Mackenzie, or something like that? How's its view?

Last edited:
Raymond said:
Mount Jo?

What about something like Pyramid? Or wouldn't that count because it's part of a High Peak?

How's the view from Noonmark? Hurricane? What's that one near Ray Brook—Mackenzie, or something like that? How's its view?

Mount Jo arguably gives one of the most dynamic views of the high peaks for such a short climb, but I don't think it gives a view of anywhere near the number of peaks that the other ones mentioned so far do.

I haven't done Noonmark yet, but Hurricane's view is outstanding, although again, I don't think the number of peaks seen from Hurricane is as many as what you can see from some others.

You also asked about McKenzie. McKenzie has a really nice panoramic view of the high peaks from a couple vantage points below its main summit, but I'm not sure how many individual peaks can be seen from there. I don't think as many as the others. OTOH, I'll betcha that Mt McKenzie can be seen from more different highway or lake locations in the Adirondacks than almost any other mountain outside of Whiteface. That is one steep climb, btw, and one of the most interesting mountains I've hiked. I love the "volcanic" look of its top.

Can't say I was counting at the time, but you can see lots of High Peaks from the ones mentioned. Noonmark, Adams, Hurricane & McKenzie (though not all at once since it has two viewing spots) & others.

Ones I haven't heard mentioned that have great views of many High Peaks, even if I can't claim to know the exact number, are - Ampersand, Moose, Jay & Saddleback (Jay Range) Goodnow and Blue (albeit from a distance).

Like I said, can't say that I know the exact number, but I'd be suprised if it was Adams or Mt. Jo (haven't been there in years) as they are SO close that some of the views are blocked by the bigger (closer peaks), It could be Noonmark, or perhaps a outerlying peak with a 360 degree summit that has a great panarama of distant peaks.

Last edited:
mavs00 said:
Ones I haven't heard mentioned that have great views of many High Peaks, even if I can't claim to know the exact number, are - Ampersand, Moose, Jay & Saddleback (Jay Range) Goodnow and Blue (albeit from a distance).

Like I said, can't say that I know the exact number, but I'd be suprised if it was Adams or Mt. Jo (haven't been there in years) as they are SO close that some of the views are blocked by the bigger (closer peaks), It could be Noonmark, or perhaps a outerlying peak with a 360 degree summit that has a great panarama of distant peaks.
Actually, Ampersand and Goodnow were mentioned, but you make a good point about certain peaks being so close that some of its views are blocked by bigger peaks.

Taking that one step further, I think that the non high peak with the most high peaks in its view would have to be a peak that's south of the high peaks area because most of the highest high peaks are in the northern part of the High Peaks wilderness. If you're viewing the high peaks from the south, you can see so many of the shorter high peaks and still look over those peaks to see most of the higher ones, too.

The most?? Id say Mt Jo is a pretty good vantage point. (but Im not sure what would be the the official 'Most High Peaks Visible' mountain.) :p

I havn't been there yet but I bet you can see a lot of HP's from Snowy. IIRC the Great Range "blocks" the view from Noonmark.
You can see a ton of HP's from Ausable #4.

Neil said:
I havn't been there yet but I bet you can see a lot of HP's from Snowy. IIRC the Great Range "blocks" the view from Noonmark.
You can see a ton of HP's from Ausable #4.
Neil, I was wondering the same thing about Snowy and I haven't hiked that one yet either, although I'm thinking of doing it sometime in the near future. Snowy would give one of those southern viewpoints, and it's higher yet than Vanderwhacker, although considerably further away. I'm going to guess that Vanderwhacker will still have more high peaks within its range of sight than Snowy, although ya never know.

BTW, where is Ausable #4?

steppinwolf said:
BTW, where is Ausable #4?
That's what I said when I first heard of it. It's 2.2 mi NE of Hurricane.

A vote for Vanderwhacker

I skied/snowshoed both Vanderwhacker and Snowy this past winter 2 weeks apart and had clear days both trips. While I didn't count, I think Vand. wins. Also was up Goodnow, Noonmark and Adams within the last year (all with clear days) and don't think they offer as many, though of those I would bet Goodnow wins.

I forgot to mention the photo at left is from the peak. I keep a panorama from the summit of Vanderwhacker (plus other photos) next to my desk so I can take a mental outing periodically while at work. The View From The Top also includes Gore, Blue, Snowy and many others.

My vote would go to St Regis Mountain near Paul smiths.....a little far away but lots of peaks can be spotted, also with many nice lakes in the foreground.

I think I've read that you can see 28 high peaks from Big Crow Mt. I've been up there a couple times but don't remember counting. The Crows are a nice loop hike starting from the Hurricane/Nun-Da-Gao Ridge parking area.