favorite campgrounds in NH/ME

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markandkelly

Reaction score
on top of Haystack, our 46th and our engagement!
Kelly and I have the 18th through the 25th of July to go explore Maine and New Hampshire and are looking for any recommendations on your favorite campgrounds, and hikes too. Last summer, we hiked up in Baxter State Park a little and then shot down to the coast for a few days.

Most of our hiking has been in the ADKs, and we're excited to get hiking in New England. Thanks for any help!

Mark

My favorite spot in ME is Recompence Shores Campground. It's right on the water just outside of Freeport. The website is www.freeportcamping.com

It's a great place to use as homebase if you're into kayaking and/or shopping.

Cathedral Pines Campground in Eustis, Maine is just beautiful and recently won out as my all-time favorite campground. If you can get one of the tentsites by the lake, you'll be able to see a wonderful sunrise over the Bigelows, right from your tent and hear loons calling throughout the night. Plenty of hiking nearby, including the Bigelows, Saddlebacks & Crockers too!

- Ivy

Reactions: yam
Hidden Springs Campground in Millinocket Maine is WONDERFUL !!!!
Dry River Campground in Crawford Notch, Hancock Campground (no real amenities) near Lincoln, NH . . . Catherdral Pines in Eustis . . .

I am sure there are others, I just have to think a while to I will post them as they come to me :)

sli74

M&K,
This may be off the beaten path a little, but only just a little, as it is a nice adventure on the border of Maine. you might find, as we did, that it adds tremendously to your experience.

We were Adirondackers and hadn't ventured too far from the 'Daks into New England until 5-6 years ago.

We stayed at Cobscook Bay State Park (Downeast, ME) one year and spent a couple of days exploring Campobello Island (New Brunswick) while we were there. This is right off the shore of Lubec, ME which is the most easterly point in the US (IIRC). (alternatively you can also camp on Campobello island at the beautiful Herring Cove Provincial Park). We liked it so much that we came back 2 years in a row and stayed at Herring Cove.

On Campobello, the East Quoddy Head Lighthouse can only be reached during low tide and there are several steel ladders and tiny islands you must trundle over to get to the lighthouse, but once there it is a great place for a picnic.
You must cross back before the tide starts coming in, as it comes in so fast, you can easily be stranded on the lighthouse.

here
and here

Good Luck
Rick

South Arm Campground outside Andover, Me is a great place for water-related activities and is a gorgeous campground. It has many wilderness sites along the lake, too. Last I knew they would shuttle you to those sites for a fee. The Appalachian Trail is about 4-5 miles away. Rangeley, Grafton Notch and Tumbledown region all have great hiking within an hour's drive, if you know the roads. Here is the URL: South Arm:

Lincoln, NH

Hancock Campground is a great base camp for many hikes along the Kanc. There are several other nice camp grounds along the Kanc that are good to use as base camps. If you do stay somewhere on the Kanc a must is hiking down the Wilderness Trail to Franconia Falls. There is a naturally water cut rock water slide. If you never went you must check it out, it's a lot of fun.

Sorry I can't ditto X and SherpaJohn. When I stayed at Crawford Notch General Store and Campground the porta-potties were DISGUSTING. It was 10 years or more ago, however. We always enjoyed Zealand and the two Sugarloaf campgrounds in Twin Mountain (all Forest Service sites). They are much quieter in general than commercial campgrounds. The Sugarloaf campgrounds can be booked in advance through the internet. Try www.reserveusa.com

Campgrounds that we have enjoyed the most:

Cathedral Pines Campground in Eustis - Hike the Bigelows, Crockers, Sugarloaf area - head down to Saddleback and the Horn

StonyBrook in Bethel Main - Hike Baldpate & Old Speck or bushwack Elephant

Twin Mountain KOA - Hike the Northern Presi's - don't forget Isolation

Woodstock KOA - Hike Franconia Ridge

We have trip reports on most of these suggestions at:

http://rbhayes.net/hike.htm

Cabins off of Kanc?

There are some white and green cabins somewhere off of the Kanc. I can't remember for the life of me where or what they are called, but I do recall the owners being very very nice people that allowed my group of 10 (kids from a Boys & Girls Club) stay for free one night. They said we do so much for the community they couldn't amagine charging us. We payed them anyway because we thought it was the right thing to do. If anyone knows the name of those places post it. I recommend those cabins greatly!

I give another thumbs up for Cathedral Pines CG. Two other CGs that are right up there are:

(1) Wild River CG. This remote (7 miles up a deadend road) WMNF CG with no amenities is a terrific place to camp. The Wild River is right there and an excellent base for hiking. Only 8 sites if I remember correctly and when I was there mid-week in Sept. I had the place for myself.

(2) JoMary Lake CG. This private CG has a great location in the 100 Mile Wilderness. It is right on the shore of JoMary Lake. AT is 4 miles away up a lumber road. If you camp there they waive the lumber road entrance fee. The shower room could be a bit cleaner but the view of Katahdin from the lake is awesome. Loons and moose you expect and the location makes up for some of the shortcomings. Also, depending on who is manning the gate, you might get a free pass for the KI gate as well, but don't count on it.

There is another very good campground on Mooselookmeguntic Lake, in the Rangeley, ME area. It is the Stephen Phillps Memorial Preserve. They have well spaced mainland campgrounds as well as wilderness sites on Students Island, Toothaker Island and the Western Shore. Canoe rentals are available. CAUTION: I would advise against taking one of the Toothaker or Western Shore sites without a boat, due to the lake getting rough. Students Island is typically easy paddling, as it is more protected and close to the mainland. Their phone is 207-864-2003

I'll second both Wild River and JoMary.

And I've added Cathedral Pines to the top of my wish list!