Baxter State Park - 6 peaks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobandgeri

Reaction score
We spent the weekend at Baxter State Park in Maine with MichaelJ and Cantdog celebrating the 4th by hiking the 6 peaks on the NEHH list: Coe, South and North Brother, Fort, Hamlin, and Baxter.

We met at 5:30 Sat morning and headed north packed with enough food nad gear for a week long expedition - didn't want to go hungry :> Sunday we hiked Coe, Brothers, and Fort under blue skies and a slight breeze. The bushwack over to Fort made us wish we had worn long pants, but in the end it was a very succesfull day with many memories.

Monday we celebrated the 4th by tackling Hamlin and Baxter via the Hunt trail, once again under bright blue skies and with a 10 -15 mph breeze. The hunt trail is fairly steep much of the way with large boulder sections that make it seem more like rock climbing than hiking.

Tuesday was a recovery day - canoeing, reading, a casual walk around Daicey Pond, and an earely dinner.

This was our first trip to Baxter State Park - even though we had heard wonderfull things about it, we were still surprised at how large and beuatiful it is. This will become a yearly trip for sure.

Pics and details are on ou web page.

http://rbhayes.net/baxter.html

Hey congrats to you two for bagging another list. Your one of those perfect couples that do it all and do it together. Thanks for all the memories and sharing all the valuable information you folks share with the hiking community.

Sweet... the credentials of Team Sherpa are increasingly getting better.

MWUAHAHAHAHAHAH! :eek:

I'm glad you all had such a great trip to BSP! Your pictures are wonderful as always and I particularly like the one of the hare...

I was in the northern part of the park this weekendl, otherwise I might have run into you, too...

Now that you've done all the main peaks, there are so many other awesome things to explore!

spencer

Wow, thanks for sharing your photos! Those were great pictures and I hope to make it up there someday.

Congratulations! I didn't think I could get any more excited about my upcoming trip to Baxter but looking at your pictures did just that.

thanks for sharing! sounds like a great trip. and i always love recovery days....yours sounds excellent!
:)

BoB and Geri: You are SO lucky to have been there this week and not last! With the still hot days we weer chased off teh summits battered and bleeding (still managed to hike what we went for, but I can't actually say it was enjoyable).

Well done! North Brother was #67 for me. You were all wise to visit Fort while there, which ';m sure you know (I figured that one out when I read about your Elephant trip;))

Way to Go Bob & Beri!! :D Great pictures!

I hope I get as nice weather as you did when I make my way up there next month.

-MEB

Congrats again, guys. You are hiking machines! Just going up Abol and down the Hunt on Sunday exhausted me. I can't imagine throwing in Hamlin as well.

I didn't take many snaps this year, but I got some nice ones last year: Baxter 2004

Last edited:
Woo-hoo! Congrats to Bob, Geri, and Cantdog on their respective NEHH finishes.

Baxter only made it 65/67 (76/100) for me. I'm a slacker.
:)

My pics and trip report will be forthcoming hopefully soon.

Baxter

:) Heading there in Aug. Hope to add to your pictures and trip report then.
jdscout

Congrats to Bob & Geri and Cantdog

B&G, I refer to your hiking page and trip reports each time I head out to the mountains. Your trip reports and topo maps always answer the questions I have and I find it to be a great resource. Although we've never met, I feel that I know you well.. Congrats

bobandgeri said:
... This was our first trip to Baxter State Park - even though we had heard wonderfull things about it, we were still surprised at how large and beuatiful it is. This will become a yearly trip for sure. ...
http://rbhayes.net/baxter.html

Awww heck ... more competition for reservations!

You'll find there is plenty to go back for, though. Other summits, backpacking the interior with interesting side hikes, the Knife Edge for starters. And some of the remote ponds have canoes available, too, so I'd suggest planning on spending some time at some of the remote shelters.

Enjoy and Congratulations!

Stan said:
And some of the remote ponds have canoes available, too

Ayuh - we noticed that. Not only did the Daicey Pond camping area have wooden Old Town canoes available for rental, but you could also sign out a key and hike over to some of the "unpopulated" ponds where aluminum canoes were stashed and locked.

I'd love to follow in the steps of Tramper Al and canoe (or kayak!) from pond to pond, following the portage trails.