Huntington Ravine - what am I looking at?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carole

Reaction score
Back in June ’98 I did a loop up to the Alpine Garden via Old Jackson Rd, Nelson Crag, Alpine Garden and down Lions Head. I had an older digital camera and took these pictures of Huntington Ravine. Now I have yet to hike that trail but am interested in what I am looking at. This picture shows a wall and this one is a zoom in of climbers/hikers on that wall. Is this the trail or a climbing route?

could that be pinnacle buttress?
I was there 2 weeks ago and a couple of climbers were up that same route. there are many established routes up all the different gullies there..
huntington is by far one of my fave trails in the whites

Carole, the zoom shows a technical climbing route; I agree that it's Pinnacle Buttress as Anita suggests. If so, it'd be rated 5.7 (with some easier pitches, including a 4th class pitch) -- serious climbing for sure, but not ridiculous.

The Huntington Ravine Trail has nothing even remotely like that on it -- the most climbing-like section is a short (15'?) moderate-angled slab right above the Fan (i.e. talus delta). There is a crack system that can be ascended for some climbing-like fun, but with the right footwear (Tevas worked) and placements you can walk up that pitch without even using your hands.

Mr. Metzky has a trip report with some good pictures on his site.

Click on the links in the paragraph beginning "We stopped there for rest, food, and water."

That is the Pinnacal ,
it is hard to tell where the climbers are on it. On route called Pinnacal Gully is also popular. but more so in the winter .
As Elbagr said the Huntington Ravine Trail is nothing like that though some popole who are uncomfortabel with exposure might not like it. though the trail is generally not a fall and you die route. there are some fun easy 3rd class scambles on it.

Also looks like Pinnacle Buttress to me. The gully to its right hosts a classic ice climb in winter. (Not visible from the mouth of the Ravine--you have to go up to the fan (where the summer trail begins to get steep) to see into it.)

Doug

Thanks. It looked like a climbing route but I wanted to be sure. I'm only in for hiking :eek:

agree with all above -

to add - the first time I did hunt ravine trail - some guy was doing it barefoot. It was a group of young kids and it seemed he was trying to impress the ladies.

its got a couple of class 3 sections - nothing big and if you have been hiking since 98 - you won't have a problem on it-

its fun - its a great hike/climb.

Carole, you will absolutely LOVE Huntington Ravine. Pick a nice day and enjoy the ride. (FWIW, Carole is a very experienced hiker that I know quite well, so my comments are with that in mind. Huntington Ravine is not a place for inexperienced hikers)