ADK - The Brothers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmp4sw

Reaction score
I am taking a group of "newbie" low key hikers to the High Peaks region. I thought hiking the "Brothers" would be a nice intro to the area. I have read an article from Barbara McMartin on them, from an article in ADK Sport and Fitness in 2002, and it sounds like a pleasent easy day hike for my friends. I am looking for some feedback from anyone who has done this hike before. I want them to really enjoy this and want to come back for something more challenging. Any comments would be great! Thanks. :rolleyes:

I suppose most people will agree with Barbara McMartin that the hike is relatively simple. I don't remember the hike as being particularly easy, but it's been nearly six years since I was there.

We hiked over The Brothers on our way down from Big Slide, which we had climbed from Johns Brook Lodge (we'd first gone over Yard Mountain, an unofficial 4000-footer). The day was sultry, after several clear, dry days, and I was wearing my old frame backpack, so I was tired and miserable. My son was seven years old at the time, but he did fine on our hike back to civilization, despite our having climbed Lower Wolf Jaw and Saddleback the previous two days.

The only difficult part of the trail that I can recall was just below the Second Brother; there was a fairly steep, rocky climb to the open rocks. You should have a decent view down toward Keene Valley from there. If your party is tuckered out at that point, it would be a good place to turn around, as the next stretch is pretty much in the woods anyway. There was a good view ahead to the profile of Big Slide from the Third Brother, but I don't remember if Big Slide can be seen from the Second.

Our hike was well before I began using a digital camera, and I don't have a scanner, so I don't have any photos to share. There's a tremendous view of the Great Range from Big Slide, if you're ambitious enough to go all the way.

Last edited:
The Brothers

A hike up the Brothers is a great choice for newcomers to hiking. You really only have to go to First Brother to get good views but it is a great walk on over to Second Brother and the views become more expansive.

We did this hike last summer on a summer weekday. Arriving at noon, we found the Garden parking lot full and had to take the shuttle bus from the overflow parking area. We hiked on to Big Slide then down to JBL and out. We missed the last bus to the parking lot but were able to hitch a ride back with another hiker.

With newcomers you might only want to do first and second Brothers then retrace your steps back to the Garden. If your group is energetic and you go on to do all the Brothers, the trail from Third Brother to Big Slide has some pretty wet spots but is very beautiful. The climb up Big Slide from this trail is quite short but does have a very steep spot with a ladder. The trail down to the Johns Brook trail is fun but we found that we had to be careful not to lose the trail as it went back and forth across the brook.

Pat T

'RELATIVELY easy' does ot mean easy. Still, a great trip. What I like about it is the views along the way. Never too long of a hike to get from one view point to another. Then, at the third Brother, you get a view of your final destination. I remember son, JP2 seeing that (7 at the time) , "We're going THERE??? Wow!"

Yep, a great trip.

Big Slide via the Brothers is a great hike, but you can also get a lot of bang for your buck by climbing Noonmark, Mt Jo, Pitchoff, or Cascade to name a few. Other nice hikes where I like to take beginners: Copperas Pond, Marcy Dam (w/ optional continuation to Avalanche Pass), Giant's Washbowl, and Owl's Head.

As other's have said, you can always turn around after the First or Second Brother if need be. And if you do the loop (returning back to the Garden via JBL) the last several miles back to the car are fast and relatively easy.

Lastly, get to the Garden early, I mean very early, to avoid having to use the shuttle. Last time I parked there it was about 7am and I think there was only 1 spot left. OTOH, a friend got there a few weeks ago at 9:30am and still got a spot.

Have a good time!

Rob

Awsome advice!

Thanks for all your opinions....I have taken some people up Mt Jo and I think it is one of the nicest easy hikes out there...anyone know what the current schedule for the shuttle bus to the Garden is? Thanks! :)

The shuttle is running on weekends.

Also re the Brothers -- the nice part is that there is plenty of over rock hiking rather than in the woods under tree canopy -- fairly early in the hike. It makes for many views out over the JB valley.