Adirondack 100 Highest hike - Sat. July 16

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALGonquin Bob

Reaction score
Finally! The Doc says I'm OK to hike. Since I don't have to work this weekend, I'm thinking that I'd like to do a relatively easy HH hike to ease myself back on the trail after a forced absence of 3 months (that's right - 3 whole months without hiking!).

A couple hikes that come to mind are either Moose & MacKenzie or Pitchoff (all in the Lake Placid area); something with a trail, I think... or maybe TR (near Marcy Dam) if it's not a bad BW. I don't want to over-do it first time out.
ALG, 46er #5357

I was looking to go for sunday/monday, but I would like to try and get up there for saturday also. As of right now, I'm unable to leave oswego until 7am on saturday. Let me work on it. I would love to try for Moose-Mackenzie or Pitchoff.

I wouldn't call Moose/McKenzie an easy warm-up hike. It's not exactly hard, but McKenzie is pretty steep and the walk between the two is pretty long. All in all and great hike, but you'll be out for 7 hours anyway.

Pitchoff is a good one, esp. if you can spot a car. Jay is an amazing hike (and short). TR is a mild swack and pretty short. Not sure if you've done Adams either, but it's another great hike. All those are shorter options and (IMO) better "getting back into the swing of things hikes" Than a M&M.

I'd add that M&M should be put on the list for later this year, perhaps fall (it would be a gem).

Alg,
Sorry I can't make it this weekend, my kids still playing little league. It looks like I won't be climbing until early August...... I may climb #46...Phelps with my family. Maybe you can join me?

Thanks guys, for your interest and your concern ("You like me... you really like me... ")

OK, I guess M&M is out (hey, I should be packing right now). Gotta save Adams to hike with the wife. Fire tower, you know.

I'm leaning toward Pitchoff. Of course, I might do something stupid and make an attempt at recovering my camera from the S. slope of Shepherd's Tooth... ("There's just one thing I want you to do before I go"... "Talk me out of it!").

Alistair - I'd love to join you and your family on Phelps for your 46th. Got to return the favor, you know. Maybe we'll get HarryK to bring a beverage. Let me know when you choose the date, and I'll be "sick" that day. -Bob

Last edited: