Calories per hour?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rugger

Reaction score
While hiking South Peak of Mooselauke in the fog yesterday, my wife and I were discussing how many Cal's per hour are burned hiking. She is in need of maintaining weight or gaining, while I can always stand to loose some more. So can I afford the Ice Cream Sundie afterwords, and does she need the Banana split to keep from losing?

I was going to post but after following that link I have nothing of substance to add. Awesome!!

Here is -ANOTHER- helpful link. It is a very inclusive "calories burned" calculator. What I like about it is that you can input your specific data and the activity list has just about every activity you can think of.

For hiking, I generally use the time function and additionally the nifty feature that allows you to add together multiple activities so I can break it down and be real specific. For instance, lets say I take a hike and it takes me 4 hours to reach the summit, 1 hour lounging on the summit and 3.5 hours to walking out.

I'll enter my data - (M/38, 5'11", 191 lbs) and then the activities;
- 4 hours @ {Hiking - climbing hills, 21-42 lb load} = 2787 cals
- 3.5 hours @ {Hiking - cross-country, general**} = 1829 cals
- 1 hour @ {Socializing - sitting (talking, eating) :cool: }

for a total of 4,747 cals over 8.5 hours.

** - considering the significant difference in physical effort going downhill, I use the general activity for decents.

Mavs, I followed that link and came to a form that said, "sex: ?" Try as I might I couldn't find a drop down box or a radio button choice that corresponded with 3 times a day so I guess that website is no good for me. Thanks anyway.

Dugan said:
Woohoo! How many pints of Ben & Jerry's is that?!

The Cherry Garcia FF Frozen Yogert I just finished is 680 cal's per pint. I'm sure the regular is much, much more than that! Thanks for all the inputs everyone.

Congrats Rugger. I believe you may be the first man in recorded history to publically express a desire for his wife to gain weight. :eek:

I've gotta go now. The sensitivity police are after me. :D