Heading to Wyoming and Idaho

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chomp

Reaction score
Well, tomorrow I fly out to Salt Lake City for a three week vacation in the wild west. First, I head to Pinedale, WY to pick up a friend of mine who was playing around on the CDT. Then, we'll head to the Tetons for a 3-4 day backpack. Also on the schedule is at least a 7 day backpack in the Sawtooth Wilderness out in Idaho. Other than that, I am open to suggestions. Bighorn Mountains look interesting. Yellowstone is right there, but I think that I want to save that park for at least two weeks by itself. Driving up to Canada and Banf is a possibility, but I think that is about a 12 hour drive. Still, who knows.

Anybody have any suggestions? I am open. Of course, I also fly out tomorrow at 2 pm (nothing like waiting until the last minute, as usual).

Chomp You might like the The area near Granite Peak here is link http://www.summitpost.org/show/mountain_link.pl/mountain_id/57 . The Climb itself is difficult but spectacular. Just getting to Froze to Death Plateau is a adventure. The scenery is incredible and remote. You will not see many people even though it is Montana's highest peak.

My advice would be to make the Tetons a day trip and save your backpack for the Wind River range. I did a multi day trip thru the Winds a couple summers ago and was really wowed. Once we were down we headed up to the Tetons.....but the tourists are really very pervasive. After seing nary a soul for 7 or 8 days the Tetons (while amazing) were a bit of a bummer. Seriously......go the Winds. My .02.

Trekkin said:
My advice would be to make the Tetons a day trip and save your backpack for the Wind River range. I did a multi day trip thru the Winds a couple summers ago and was really wowed. Once we were down we headed up to the Tetons.....but the tourists are really very pervasive. After seing nary a soul for 7 or 8 days the Tetons (while amazing) were a bit of a bummer. Seriously......go the Winds. My .02.

Yup - great advice, but I have already been there. :) And I totally agree, the Winds are a backpacking utopia. I really can't possibly image a place any better to go hiking for a week. Maybe as good, but not better. Here are some photos from my week long hike three years ago for anyone that is interested:

http://gallery.backcountry.net/chompwindriver

Well, I HAVE to give you major kudos for your pics. Most of what I took in the Winds ended up looking very washed out. We were in diff't parts than your pics (went up Haley Pass and down Washakie Pass) but I found it very difficult to get any sort of interesting contrasts.....the sky was very blue, but there was little green grass, flowers were in short supply, and most of the rock was just greyish. I took over 200 photographs while there and only got 3 or 4 that were worthwhile (2 sunsets, which look photochopped, like yours) and a couple of some yellow Columbines set against a snowdrift. I like the composition in the bulk of your pics.

Sorry for the hijack. Any chance you'd be willing to drive up North to my absolutely favorite place......Glacier N.P.?? ;) Have fun wherever you end up and share your film efforts upon your return.

chomp said:
Here are some photos from my week long hike three years ago for anyone that is interested:

http://gallery.backcountry.net/chompwindriver

OMG, those pictures are unbelieavable! Another place to add to my list of "must go" places .......

I agree with Trekkin, your photos are remarkable ....... good contrast, lots of colors, plenty of depth of field ............. magnificent! :)

Sawtooth Wilderness

When I thumbed my way around the country way back when, I did a four night hike in the Sawtooth Wilderness. It was one of my best hikes ever. Since then I have often wondered precisely where I actually wandered, but I did travel near the Finger of Fate, and by Imogene Lake, and up over one of the nearby pass. Right around here.

If you have not already done so, get the snow report. I had to cross a couple big snowfields, even though it was the end of July (it had been a snowy winter, probably does not apply this year). Today I would say an ice axe was required gear, back then, any old stick was good enough.

One of these days I'll get back. Have fun!

Haven't been to WY yet, but have spent time in the Canadian Rockies. Banff is touristy, but the mountains around it are spectacular.
Have fun.

PB