Mt Tecumseh - Mt. Tecumseh Trail - Watch out for Crevasses!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giggy

Reaction score
Now that I have your attention

How do you have some additional fun on the lowest 4000'er in NH??? (at least I think it is - too lazy to actually check) - not that its not fun in its own right.

Wear plastic boots up it in July - and set up Z-pulleys on the summit.

Arm, Tmax and myself needed to venture out to a mellow mountain to do a quick hike sunday AM. We just wanted to talk about our trip to Rainier which we are leaving for this weekend.

Tmax did Washington the day before, Arm did something on friday and sat and I babysat all day. Any injury now would kill any rainier summit attempt next week - so I was being a bit cautious and wanted to a nice quikie MT this weekend with mininal injury chance!

We decided to meet at mcdonalds on the kanc at 8am. Decide where to hike -do a bit of rope practice, etc...

Arm was a new addition to this trip - and although he knows most on the trip - I had never hiked with him before and we both wanted to get out at least once prior to seattle next week. I quicky learned that we seem to have a similar sense of humor. TMAX was seeking the peak on sat - so we all managed to get together one last time prior to going to the mighty cascades.

I pull in to parking lot at the golden arches - we shot the crap for about 20 minutes and decide on Tecumseh.

OK lets go - it was a beautiful day - and get to waterville valley about 20 minutes later.

Becuase conditions were so cold in the parking lot at about 70 degrees, I had to wear the plastics up. Seriously, even though I have had these for 3 or 4 years , still wanted "no surprises" on rainier - so decided to hike in them. As expected - no problems.

TMAX gives me half the tent for plane ride out to seattle and I give each her and ARM a snow picket for the ride.

Pretty uneventful trip to ther summit - other than joking around talking about trip concerns, etc.. I am terrible with wildlife identification when it comes to birds. Don't know one from the other unless its a cardinal. I was going along and a chicken ran by me about 2 yards in the bush on the left side of trail. At least I thought it was a chicken looking thing. Arm told me what is really was and it was a female pheasant and one of her young. Pretty amazing how close we were and she didn't run away. cool stuff.

Goal was to hike to summit and the head down a ski slope to do rope pratice -then we saw the ski slopes and they were pretty overgrown - so we said - screw that - Rainier will be tough enough - I didn't need poison ivy to complicate things. Lets just make do on summit. It was nice day and the summit up there was pretty roomy.

We ate some food, talked more about trip and and then started putting on harnesses, pulled out the rope and so on. Rest of afternoon was doing a bunch of mock z-pulley rescues with the three of us tied in and the victim a backpack named dani. A few people came to the summit and I can almost guarentee that was the last thing they expeceted to see. One guy asked if we were rapelling down - All I could think of was - rappell down what??? at 15 degree inclined trail?? anyway....

it was fun day and as it progressed the humor got dirtier, sicker, and so on - just how I like it!!!

It was good go keep going thru the motions setting this stuff up in conditions with absolutely no comparison to the Cascades. I am making a wild guess Tecumseh is a little eaiser than Rainier. But seriously, just to get out and practice and know the basics before glacier class with RMI next week. We all bring different skills to the table, I have some ice, Tmax had rock and ice and arm has a bit of it all including high altitude skills. (private joke) It was cool to out it all together and share tips, etc....

fun day ended at the tilton diner with arm eating desert before his dinner and telling some funny peruvian and singapore toilet paper stories. (or lack of for that matter)

oh yea - trail is a good shape.

Last edited:
Crevasses!

Giggy -

Well, that caught my attention. It would have been fun to watch all of you rapel down Tecumseh...a grad I could handle!
I wish all of you the best on your big adventure and I look forward to hearing about it all when you return.
Have fun!! :)

Nicely written report Guy! And for all those non-believers out there...here's proof of how bad the conditions were...they even had to close the trail! :eek:

And here's Arm and Guy rescuing "Dani." Was she grateful!!! :)

Nice day guys, good company, thanks. One of the most important things I learned was to ALWAYS carry toilet paper when traveling to foreign lands!

Now that we've mastered Tecumseh, Rainier here we come!

hehehe - condtions were as bad as I seen them there!!

I swear I am not stepping on that rope - I have special boots that allow stepping on the rope. don't remember that pic - but we aren't rescuing much of anything there.

Last edited:
I'm so glad I could accomodate everyone's training by being the "dummy" :eek: Does this mean that I bring the most falling-experience to the team ?

Thanks for including me in the training !

I'm sorry I missed all the fun and really wish I could have been there, but I had mom-duty, which beats falling into a cravess any day. Well, that may be a close one actually.