Katahdin via Northwest Basin

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Bear

Reaction score
I'm thinking of climbing Katahdin via the Northwest Basin and would like some feedback. Ideally I'd take my time and go as follows

South Branch Pond -> Russell Pond -> Davis Pond -> Katahdin and down.

How easy is the route as far as Davis (with backpack)?
How is the climb up the Northwest Ridge to Katahdin (with backpack)?

If Russell and/or Davis is unavailable, how hard would it be to:

Go from South Branch Pond to Davis Pond (skipping Russell)?
Go from Russell Pond to Katahdin and down (skipping Davis)?
Go the whole way to Katahdin and down (skipping both)?

Any other comments or suggestions?

Thanks

You might want to call the park and ask about the Northwest basin trail - I seem to recall signs that it was closed below treeline. Maybe MichaelJ will remember.

bobandgeri said:
You might want to call the park and ask about the Northwest basin trail - I seem to recall signs that it was closed below treeline. Maybe MichaelJ will remember.
You don't mean the North Peaks Trail, do you? That was closed a few years ago to keep IAT thru-hikers from tramping through the park. Haven't heard about the Northwest Basin Trail but if anyone knows, please tell. I will call the park.

I think you are talking about Russel to Davis, and then up to tabled lands from Davis...

We did this in reverse with full packs (over Hamlin) last month. The trail up to Davis is pretty mild. There is a long section with some bouldery stuff along a stream, but it is not too bad. A couple of ranger's have been through there recently and have done an awesome job on the blow dows (something like 47 of them).

The climb up to Davis is a bit stiff, and wet. You will be able to swim in the flumes if it is warm enough. When you get to the beaver dam, you are almost to Davis. Davis had a ton of black flies when I was there last, but it may have improved.

Davis->Tabled Lands is quite a steep climb, but can be done with a full pack no problem. There was a spring running at end of tabled lands when you junction for Hamlin/Baxter.

Hope this helps!

have a great trip.

-percious

Hi Papa Bear,

This sounds like a very nice trip! If my memory serves me right I believe that the park requires one to stay a night at Russell Pond before heading off to Davis Pond.

Have a great trip!

-MEB

I can confirm. You MUST stay at either Russel or Chimney the first night. I tried to plan a trip with Davis as the first stop and we had to fanagle to get what we wanted. Turned out the weather was perfect, and it would have been bad if we got what we originally planned... Go figure!

-percious

Papa Bear said:
You don't mean the North Peaks Trail, do you? That was closed a few years ago to keep IAT thru-hikers from tramping through the park.

That was the reason? I can't believe it! Closing a trail for, what, 10 hikers a year? 50? 100 maybe? All experienced and LNT afficionados? North Peaks trail would be such a nice place to start or finish such a long and tough trek.

And the park is sooooo proud to feature the AT's northern terminus. So what's the problem with the IAT?

Last edited:
north peaks trail

I was talking to a ranger ( Brendan) and he told me after the ice srorm of 98 ?that the trail had a lot of blow downs and they never cleared them. There is a lot of work to keep a trail open and it's the moose that keep the interior trails open. I did the Russel pond-Davis pond ( stayed nite ) north peaks trail loop in 97 and I could just barely follow the trail it was so overgrown, but it is my favorite hike. Best seat in BSP is at the last rocky nub on the N. peaks trail.

grog

Reactions: dms
That was the reason? I can't believe it! Closing a trail for, what, 10 hikers a year? 50? 100 maybe?

It's the logistics of the thru hikers that causes issues with Baxter's permit system and other practices. The Birches area was created to deal with the AT thru hikers once and for all, since Daicey Pond alternately allowed the thru hikers or shunned them.

All experienced and LNT afficionados?

I don't know, distance hiked sometimes has little relevance on LNT, experience, etc.

The route from South Branch to Russell is 9.6 miles, basically flat, very beautiful. Russell to Davis is nice as well, not too bad with full pack.
I've only done the route from Davis to Chimney without a full pack, but I would/could do it. The section that would be the worst for me would be coming down off Katahdin. I know I'd choose either Saddle or Hamlin, and that the park recommends Saddle.
There is the "10 mile rule" which doesn't allow going directly to Davis.

I have a couple of friends doing this trip over Labor Day weekend (Roaring Brook, Russell, Davis, Chimney Pond) I'm looking forward to hearing their (and your) trip reports.

Best seat in BSP is at the last rocky nub on the N. peaks trail.

I agree! I've hiked the North Peaks trail section above tree line, and it is an awesome, peaceful hike, beautiful views. The lesser taken trails on Katahdin provide different views. And solitude. I remember hiking back toward Hamlin Peak once and hikers asking me where I came from. :D

Last edited:
twigeater said:
I don't know, distance hiked sometimes has little relevance on LNT, experience, etc.

After several months on a trail, I assume that one has gained experience...

Anyway I couldn't imagine someone without experience choosing for his first backpack the IAT, which is often difficult to follow. Orienteering skills are a must on that trail. But you never know...

And from what I saw in the last ten years, those unrespectful of LNT ethics (as littering a campsite with toilet paper because "no-way-I'll-go-in-these-stinky-outhouses"...) are often casual dayhikers/car campers starting fires with white gas, cutting branches with a 2 pound axe, throwing empty yogurt cans in the pitfire, etc. I can hardly imagine a thru-hiker wasting gas in the middle of BSP... But again, you never know :rolleyes:

You got a good point with the permit rules though. Thru-hiking must be hard to match with the complex BSP rules. And Grog's point (trail damage) is a good one too. I guess these are the 2 main (Maine :D ) problems on this case.

Last edited:
I guess I hijacked my own thread when I brought up the IAT issue.

First off, this is not officially stated policy but was told to me by a Ranger (who was not at the management level) who said it was well know among the Rangers that this was one rason for closing North Peaks.

Conspiracy theory? Could be, but since there was no real good reasons stated for the closing, this reason seemed plausable. As for not having the manpower to maintain the trail, one wonders how they got the manpower to clear and mark the Traveler Trail last year - admitedly an much shorter undertaking and largely above treeline. Does anyone have any inside information about the IAT / North Peaks closing theory?

The other inconsistancy is that an IAT hiker could just reserve a spot at Russell Pond and make the traverse. You could start at Katahdin Stream and they would never know you didn't drive around to Roaring Brook or South Branch Pond and go in to Russell one of the other ways. By the time one has hiked all the way to Maine, the Katahdin Stream -> Baxter -> Russell Pond traverse should be doable with pack. Some thru hikers have overnight packs lighter than my day pack!

So it makes no sense. But then lots of things don't make sense.

Last edited:
Well - there's what the public gets told, then there's the truth.
:eek:

Though I certainly don't claim to know the difference between the two...
I was told the same as Papa Bear about the North Peaks Trail closing by two different parties, one affiliated with the Park, one affiliated with the MATC.

Sure it's easy to make a reservation and hike, but I think that's the problem with the thru hiking thing - they don't know when they'll be there and can't/don't reserve.

(sorry for the off topic post) :eek: