Northville Placid Trail - Lake Placid to Long Lake

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Seaver

Reaction score
I spent a few days photo-backpacking along this section of the NPT this past weekend, the first time I have overnighted in years. It was certainly different from my usual mega-mile day ventures! (After abandoning a speed attempt of the entire NPT earlier this month due to weather, I am getting psyched to take another shot at it sometime in early August - part of this trip was to re-cache the water bottles I had used up during attempt #1 on this 36.7 mile section)

I started at Lake Placid at 1 pm on Sat. and finished at Long Lake at 2 pm Monday, with the mandatory 55 mile Tour Du Ice Cream Parlors bike ride back to Lake Placid that evening. The bike leg of the trip is quite enjoyable, with a wide and clean shoulder to ride on and not too much traffic.

Now that the route is "ready" again, we are looking forward to giving it another shot - hopefully minus the deerflies, humidity, and thunderstorms!

A few pictures

Tim,
Awesome shots! You are a gifted photographer. I really like #7 (with the fire and the leanto). Best of luck on your next attempt.
Rob

Tim,
It was on this section of this trail years ago that I fell in love with backpacking. It's been a few years since I have been back there (I always say "....maybe this year is the year") But thanks for some great photos to jog the memory a bit.
Rick

I love the fire pic as well, goodluck on attempt number 2 Tim.. though I know you probably won't need it. As a note... Deerflies were only bad on the Mountain Rd Near wakely this past weekend.. other than that.. clear sailing!

SJ

This photographer would like to know your setup preparations for nicely framed self-portrait running toward camera atop Cold River suspension bridge. Couldn't just be a lightweight tripod set up on the mesh bridge deck shooting 1/2000 w/ :10 delay? What about the bounce of the bridge??

Hey Tim,
Awesome shots! Love the Duck Hole shot! Good luck on your next attempt.
HEAD