Fastest route to Waterville Valley area from Maine?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

^MtnMike^

Reaction score
Fastest route to Waterville Valley from Conway area?

I live in Southern Maine and when I drive to NH to go hiking I usually take Rt. 5 most of the way (fastest route from Saco to Conway), and then, depending on my destination, I cross the NH border via Rt. 302 (for the Whites) or Rt. 25 (for Lake Winnepasauke).

This weekend I'll be doing my first hike in the Waterville Valley area.
There doesn't seem to be any straightforward way to get to that area from the east.

Is there a faster way to get there than Rt. 16 to the Kanc to Rt. 93 to Tripoli rd.?
Backroads and unpaved roads are fine (as long as they are passable for a small two-wheel drive compact)

Thanks,
^MtnMike^

Last edited:
Mike, being a Mainer you already know the answer to that question:

"You cahn't get theyah from heeyah!" :D

I've yet to find a good route to the NH mountains from southern Maine. But I'll keep trying.

:eek:

There are few easy ways to cross NH east-west (or southern Maine for that matter). I live furthur south than you, but just off the Pike. For me, the fastest way is to take I95 south to RT101, then pick up I93 in Manchester. Trust me, this is the fastest way (although longer mileage- wise). You then exit for Waterville Valley off I93. Sure, you can battle your way across RT4, RT25, 112, etc, but it can be excruciating. Of course, I use RT16 most of the time, but Waterville Valley is one of those areas requiring I93.

Now, with EZ Pass, you can leave Saco, and barring an accident or other backup, won't have to stop until you get off of I93 for Waterville Valley. I used to use RT4 to get over to I93, now I just take 101. It's about 16 miles longer, but takes the same amount of time.

Last edited:
If you do indeed go across the Kanc and depending on what exactly you are going to hike in the waterville area I would continue south past tripoli road to Rt 46 (maybe it is 49) - this road is paved and I find it is a faster way into the waterville valley area when aproaching from the north

Mad Townie, you took the words right outta of my mouth! When you find that elusive shorter short let me know! :D

^MtnMike^, your right, there is no easy way to get over there! I've found no matter which route I take it ends up being about a 3 hour drive to Tripoli Rd.

-MEB

Not sure how long it takes you the way you normally go. I used to live in Sanford; I'd take 202 to 11 over to Winnepasaukee, then through Weirs Beach and I'd take 104 over to 93. It would be about 1 hr 45 minutes.

I would speculate that a combination of Rt 25 and one its stepchildren (25 A or B or C) and a local road will get you to Sandwich Notch road which will then get you to the valley from the SE. Any other route will inevitably bring you in from the west side which is a lot more distance.