Bigelow Loop Parking?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ aka Teej

Reaction score
Planning to do the Horns Pond Trail > AT > Fire Wardens loop as a day hike later this week. Might go up the AT and stay at Cranberry Stream Campsite instead, hike up the next morning and loop back via Fire Wardens *or* do the loop and stay at the tentsite on the Fire Wardens Trail instead. Was mostly wondering about parking. What's the parking situation like down the Stratton Brook Road, and is the parking on 27 safe?

there's a lot near the fire wardens trail, there's also a bigger lot where the AT crosses 27 in between bigelow and crocker mt's, just a 1/2 mile or so after the big hill past the sugarloaf sign. You can also park over in Eustis if you want to start out and do cranberry peak first and then work your way over to horns pond. The lot is on the right side of the road after the ball park, directly after that restaurant on the right on the road going to the logging plant. there is a hiking sign at that point on the road off of 27.

Here are the directions we posted on our Trip Report last year:

Directions to the trailhead:From Farmington take route 27 towards Sugarloaf. 3.2 miles past the entrance to Sugarloaf at the bottom of a long hill you will find a dirt road on your right with a small sign for Bigelow Perserve that you can only see as you enter the road. Follow the road to a signed parking area. For owners of high clearance cars you can follow the road for almost another mile to Stratton Pond where there is room for 6 cars.

I was there this past Saturday and had no problems parking near the fire wardens trail. Easily room for 6 or 7 cars... maybe more. There looked to be plenty of parking at the AT crossing too. Also, the road down to pond outlet didn't look too bad. I could have easily driven it in my Tacoma without using 4wd. There was one muddy section though...

I did the loop you mentioned backwards (FW Trail -> AT -> horns pond trail). Awesome scenery on this hike! Avery and West are real gems. Horns pond is absolutely gorgeous. It seems as though every hike I do becomes my new favorite but it's going to be hard to top the Bigelows.

Enjoy whatever route you decide to take. I don't think parking will be an issue... crazy strong winds on top maybe but not parking. :D

There is parking at the AT trailhead on the Stratton Pond Road. I usually drive to the brook crossing if I'm staying at the Pond. Lots of coyotes and once my tent got sniffed my a moose calf.
A great place to camp in winter as well.

It always seems I can smell the outhouse at Cranberry Stream well before I see the campsite.

I was there a week ago, as I left there was a Ford Taurus parked all the way in. So obviously it can't be that bad. I didn't dare do it in my jeep, I parked where everybody else did. Before you cross the AT, there is another road that splits off to the left. It has a blue road sign, and I can't quite remember the name. It wasn't on my map. Keep going straight.