Baxter Help - please hurry

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavs00

Reaction score
I know my friends can help me?

Here we are in rainy Millinocket, ME....... We are set for an early start for Baxter in a few hours (like 4 AM). We had hoped for a grand Katahdin loop that included Pamola, the Knife Edge and Baxter. The forecast is currently NOT in our favor. 40% chance of showers (AM) and a stray thunderstorm in the late PM.

Knife edge is probably out. But we'll head into Chimney Pond and if possible make a run at Baxter summit in the AM (via Saddle or Cathedral) if the rangers give the okay.

Here's what I need help with. If for some reason, things get uglier. What else can we do to salvage a trip into Baxter? You know in the low lands, provided we are unable to get up high. You know, like places to see moose, or other cool stuff a family from the lowlands of western NY would find unique. I'll check in again before we leave at 3:30 AM.

Thanks again. It wonderful to post and know that you'll have answers in a few hours. Even before you get em' :D .

p.s. We almost creamed 4 moose coming accross the Kanc a few days ago.

Doubletop is a great peak and they probably won't close it. So is Traveler but it is probably too much if the weather is actually bad.

Mavs
That is lousy news. All of the above suggestions are good ones. North Brother is one of the 111 ( 115) a good choice if Katahdin is not possible. At least with that you are one closer if you ever decide to do the 111. It is also a super mountain.

If the weather keeps you down low here is a suggestion that may salvage something. At Katahdin Stream CG the AT swings south. There are several lovely little ponds with, dare I say it?, with great views of outstanding hills. Doubletop is one of those impressive monsters. Anyway Grassy, Daicey, elbow and Tracy Ponds can be made into a loop hike. We saw Moose on at least two of them, Daicey and Grassy as I recall. I know it is not much but if getting up high can't be done at least this low hike is a good one.

Think positive thoughts and the Mountain gods will clear things out for you.

there's always s turner mt from roaring brook, it only ascends about 1600 feet from the campground. You could also hike up to chimney pond and look around or go over to blueberry (ridge or knoll?) and check out the north basin of katahdin. If you can't hike, you can always walk around downtown millinocket, it's pretty interesting old logging town and eat at the AT cafe, which has some pretty good diner meals. If you have any other free days, check out gulf hagas in katahdin iron works near brownville junction.

One backup I use for the inevitable rainy day in BSP, take the short walk up the Hunt trail to the beautiful waterfall, interesting destination i n the rain. Burnt is another short peak, and a pretty drive through the park. Sandy Stream is always great and likely to see wildlife. Good luck and have fun!

In addition to all of the above...

Hike to Katahdin Lake, 6-7 miles round trip, trailhead is at Avalanche Field.

Doubletop has its own little knife's edge as the ridge between the two summits (0.2 mile long) has a pretty sheer drop to the east, and you are only exposed on the summits and ridge. The trail is well sheltered right up to the top (from Sourdahunk anyways, haven't hiked it from the south).

One that has not been mentioned is the Owl. It's a bit scrambly and exposed at the top but not too bad. I got stopped by a chest-high ledge just below the summit but I was hiking alone in deteriorating weather...I'd have chanced it if someone else was with me. A group should have no problem. And you can easily visit Katahdin Stream Falls on your way back down, as someone else suggested.

Someone else suggested the many flatter trails visiting the ponds in the Kidney-Daicy region. There are a pair of fairly new trails in that area that form a longish loop: Blueberry Ledge and Foss & Knowlton Ponds trails can be combined with the AT for a 10-14 mile loop. I have not done this but the Katahdin Stream ranger suggested it for a rainy day. It's long enough to get some good exercise even if you can't go high.

-veg

The section of AT that people are discussing goes from Daicey Pond along Nesowadnehunk stream past two beautiful spots - the old Toll Dam and Big Niagara Falls. From there, it meanders in lovely woods along the stream, eventually coming out at the West Branch of the Penobscot to follow along the river, another amazing walk.

So to do the loop Vegematic mentions - that would be a really nice trek for a rainy day. Very little elevation and very nice areas.

If there's a thunderstorm, you don't want to be up high. You could visit Sandy Stream Pond, three-tenths of a mile from Roaring Brook Campground. If the weather seems okay, South Turner Mountain is farther along the same trail and gives you a great look at Katahdin. If you head toward the Saddle Trail and have to call it quits at Chimney Pond, that's still plenty scenic.

There's a nice waterfall a half mile or so, possibly more (can't remember for sure), from Abol Campground, the other way along the Perimeter Road.

Hope the weather improves for you.

Tim, I wouldn't give up trying to go up unless the rangers won't let you. You can always use your judgment for a turnaround and even if you don't get to summit, if there is any visibility at all the views will be worthwhile. Rochester's a long drive to not get a taste of this lovely lady.

Be sure to watch the movie on Percival Baxter at the headquarters in Millinocket. It will give you a whole new perspective and appreciation of his vision. There is (or was ) a book that is a fascinating read of his life and dream.