Kings Canyon & Yosemite Half Dome

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Brownie

Hello All,
I am new to the group, but my friend Bill (Pucknuts61) has been here for a while.
We both got back from an awesome Sierra trip early July and now I finally have a web location to show some pictures.

What was cool about our trip was that we were retracing our footsteps made back in 1980 when we did the John Muir Trail together.

The Kings Canyon trip had to be changed mid-week due to heavy suncupped snow (as you will see)

After a few days of that, we headed to Yosemite to once again climb the radical cable ladder up Half Dome! :eek:

So, if the link works here goes: (run it as a slide show)
Sierra Pics 2005

Enjoy,
Brownie

nice slideshow. I did the half dome hike back in june when the cables were down, great hike, but rather challenging going up the last stretch of the domes. We didn't get all the way to the top, but the views were still amazing.

Wow!!! Thanks for sharing those pictures. So many great shots and man, does it ever make me want to get out there. I don't know anything much about Yosemite except that it's crowded. But I'm planning on learning more real soon!!! Thanks for the inspiration!

Toe Cozy

agreed.
tioga pass, tuolumne meadows areas are beautiful. lots of alpine meadows, snow capped peaks.. far less crowds.
the valley was like a mini city, and we were there at 8PM! it was a total vibe killer.

Less crowds

When we were at Kings Canyon for first part of the trip, we saw maybe 5 or 6 people, 2 were passed along the Lamarck Col route.
We had a cool lakeside camp in cirque at Upper Lamarck Lake for 3 days with no one!

In Yosemite Valley it was certainly a bustle, in fact we were there mid week of 1st week of July.
We still managed to have a great time. The crowds were left behind once we started climbing and had plenty of camping space at Little Yosemite backcountry sites below the Dome.

Couldn’t have asked for better weather...but then its Cal...you know. :)

Jeff

Awesome shots. Looks like a great trip, thanks for sharing.

Toe Cozy said:
I don't know anything much about Yosemite except that it's crowded.

It is like Disney World in the valley. Little tourist trolley trains and everything. :rolleyes: But once you hike about 2 miles out of the valley you won't see hardly anyone (aside from the obvious busy places like half dome and the falls). So, don't let the valley crowds deter you. It is an awesome place. Put it on your list.

- darren

brownie: great pics. the lamarck col trail looks beautiful. I'm upset we didn't get to do Bishop's pass, but Kearsarge pass and area made up for it. the trails in california are just amazing.
those suncups are crazy! we crossed a small snowfield with mini suncups on Mammoth peak, but nothign like the ones in your pics

Yes the Valley is crowded, but I love Yosemite. I also agree touolome meadows and vicinity more then makes up for the crowds in the valley. Anyone who has never been there MUST go.