Crazy glue for the skin - OTC

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAR-EMT40

Reaction score
Some of you have been asking about it and here it is. Now, over the counter. As I mentioned in the previous discussion it is n-butyl cyanoacrylate not 2-Octyl Cyanoacrylate. Not as strong a bond as standard crazy glue but, less dangerous to the skin both in heat and toxicity. From the Indermil site (prescription version) itself under warnings. These are warnings to doctors.

INDERMIL® Tissue Adhesive should be used only on wounds that have been thoroughly cleaned and debrided.
The tissue adhesive generates a small amount of heat during polymerization and should not be applied to tissues that may be affected by such heat.
The adhesive should always be applied very sparingly, either as minute drops or as a very thin film along the edges of the wound. Heavy application may cause thermal damage to tissues, and delayed healing may result.
The tissue adhesive should not be applied to wet wounds. Excess moisture, such as water or alcohol, may accelerate polymerization, resulting in the generation of excess heat.
Use of the tissue adhesive may result in localized sensitization or irritation reactions.

Also it should not be applied to the subdermal layers of tissue. The polymerized adhesive is not absorbed by tissues and may elict a foreign body reaction.

Nexcare Liquid bandage drops

A large amount of good information on a similar product at this link.

Indermil

I am just passing information along. Not making any type of recommendation or endorsement, medical or otherwise. I haven't used this product it so I have no first hand knowledge.

Buyer beware. YMMV. FWIW. etc, etc. :D

Keith

When my father was in the hospital a few years ago the nurse was kind enough to give me a small supply of similar liquid bandages in the form of large swabs wrapped in foil. Really effective at closing a small wound ... made me think of OJ but I digress ...

The warning about throughly cleaning should be taken seriously. A life threatening infection could develop within 24 hours if not properly cleaned. One way is to irrigate with a stream of clean water from your bottle ... I'd go so far as to add iodine tablets for even better cleansing. It may sting but it's worth the effort, especially if you wish to continue a backpack. It should be monitored for infection periodically and if infection does start to set in, I'd suggest evacuate and get professional treatment.

Stan said:
I'd go so far as to add iodine tablets for even better cleansing. It may sting but it's worth the effort, ...
You may confusing several forms of iodine:
* USP Tincture of Iodine is a solution using a mixture of water and alcohol as the solvent--the alcohol is the agent which stings.
* Provodine iodine (Betadyne) (disinfectant) is an aqueous solution and doesn't sting.
* Don't recall exactly what is in iodine tablets, but the solvent is water and not likely to sting.

Doug