Is there a new shelter at Slant Rock?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NMJOD

Reaction score
It's been several years since I've been to Slant Rock. The last time I was there the shelter was old and had a dirt floor. Do you know if it has been replaced recently?
Thanks,
JOD

It was relocated to a better location.The new leanto is about 100 yards back into the woods towards balk point on a small knob that faces west with views of basin and the cliff on balk point.Only down side, facing west it catches the west winds coming off of Marcy in the winter and fills with big drifts of snow.nice camping all around .I used to camp on same spot to avoid traffic and crowds at old site.the old leanto was too close to both the trail and John's brook.

Although I haven't actually seen the new shelter, it is not right at Slant Rock, but some distance up on the hill. I understand it's quite nice. Slant Rock is an interesting landmark, but the area itself, at least as of last summer, was a trash dump.

I agree with Dick on the Slant Rock area. The last time I went through there, some of the remains of the old LT were piled up near the rock, although that may have been removed by now There is a nice view of the LT as you descend the Shorey Shortcut.