Night hiking Monadnock

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongoose

Reaction score
Has anyone here done a night hike of monadnock? I hear it's a fairly easy hike. What's an easy trail to go up? I've done night hikes before. I havn't gone on a hike in almost a year though and I might be bringing someone new to hiking. Also, how long does it take to get there from Boston?

Haven't done night hikes before myself (intentionally :rolleyes: ), but if you're considering Monadnock, think about doing it on Aug 20 when Atlas Fireworks is giving their annual show.

there was also a thread here about using a red LED headlamp or red-filter headlamp, it doesn't screw up your night vision the way white light does.

Also Aug. 19 is a full moon.

I have done a few night / moonlight hikes of Monadnock. I didn't have to use my headlamp that much. I have taken the old toll road both times to the White Arrow trail up to the summit. The Old Toll Road is wide open and lets in quite a bit of light. I would rate the toll road as "easy" but the rest as moderate.

I think the state park is 1hr 30-45 minutes from Boston.

It's a fun hike! I noticed the wildlife to be much more active during the night. I don't know if this is becasue I couldn't see well so my other senses were "amped up" or if more animals move during the night. Going down could be a bit of a challenge in the steep parts. It takes some getting used to the shadows cast by your headlamp over the rocks. If it's a full moon you'd probably be better off than I was. Expect it to take a half hour longer each way than in daylight. be safe and have fun! fireworks sound like a fun finish on the summit.

We used to do it as a regular trip. We would do Pumpelly Ridge--the idea was to leave the car after dark and get back before first light. Another part of the game was to avoid using your headlamp. (Yes, we carried them...) Pick a night with a good moon.

The hardest part was between the ridge and the road--too much tree cover. The ridge is bare.

And you are not likely to be alone on the summit...

Drive 1:30--1:45 from Boston.

Doug

I recall reading that MARS will be 34.6M miles from earth on August 27th - the closest it will be over the next 60,000 years. They say that the distance will increase slowly as we move into September.

Perhaps the evening of August 27th, if clear, presents a wonderful opportunity for a nigth hike and some photos. :)

Hey Mongoose - welcome back! Good to hear you're getting back into the mountains again. :)

We hiked up Monadnock on the Marlboro trail for a SAR dog night training exercise (we were the volunteer 'victims'). It was great once the rain stopped. We had to go 1/2 mile off trail and hide for the dogs. I can attest to the wildlife being more active. I came within 50 ft of a good size moose. I also heard some wildlife noises I had never heard before, including a cry that sounding an awful lot like a mountain lion (for real!). I couldn't figure out what it was at the time, but then a few days later I was watching NG channel and they did an episode on Mountain lions and when one of them did their cry, the hair on the back of my neck stood up. Anyway, it was a great night hike on the Marlboro trail. And while I don't think it was a mountain lion in the woods, you never know.......

Last edited:
Monadnock at night and Mars hoax

First of all, there is false information going around about Mars. That is news regurgitated from 2003. Here is some more information that is truthful: Mars will in fact pass close to Earth once again in 2005, although it will be at its closest on October 31st rather than August 27th. However, the red planet will not pass quite as close as it did in 2003. In 2003, Mars came within approximately 34 million miles of Earth. In late 2005 it will pass at about 43 million miles.

I hiked Monadnock for sunrise several years ago. Later, on my way down, I ran into park rangers who were looking for someone who was camping out on the mountain overnight - not allowed. I suggest picking a trail you know. Me? I'd go with Pumpelly or Dublin.

Scary, but Fun

I find night hiking to almost always be a little easier than day hiking as far as energy goes. Yes seeing in the dark is harder, but I find the "fun" aspect of night hiking keeps my mind off of how tired I am and I can hike much better at night. I think less heat and being scared of noises behind me helps.

Good luck, have fun, and be safe!

I thought that the Old Toll Parking lot was supposed to be closed after sunset? (in Summer season they used to collect $ for parking there, I only use it in winter now myself) Is the park HQ closed at night? I would think the two main trails from there would be quite convenient for night hiking too

It's been a couple of years myself for evening hikes but I have been up the Dublin Trail for sunrise & Sunset a couple of times. Above the trees, enough light to get back down before needing lights (which I feel better about as in the dark I would think the terrain/rocks above would look too similar) & once you are back in the trees, trail is marked well enough & over all easy enough to figure out where the trail is by light.

I havn't gone on a hike in almost a year though and I might be bringing someone new to hiking

I would reconsider introducing someone to hiking with a night hike. Rocky trails may be second nature to me or you, but to the un-initiated they will likely be challenging and possibly dangerous.

I've done many night hikes on Monadnock.
We usually park at the old toll road before dark and after collection times.
The road up to the half-way house is easy. After that there are several possibility's.
I think the most direct route up is the white arrow trail and the most scenic is the cliff walk.
Our usual goal is to be on the simmit for sunset.then down the smith summit trail to Monte Rosa ( a fine outlook ) and back to the toll road.I find if you leave the summit shortly after sun-down you can make it most of the way to the toll road without a headlamp. After that it's cake.
I would guess you're looking at a 2 hr. ride from Boston.
BTW, checked out the fireworks in Jaffery one time. I thought it would be much closer. not really worth the trip for fireworks.

Steve

I hiked Mondanock in Sept. 2003 during a full moon (and with Mars blazing away in the sky). We started from the State Park and took White Dot all the way up and down. The tree canopy down low is a little thick on White Dot, so it was hard to see even with the full moon. However, once we got up a little higher, we were able to hike with just the moonlight guiding us.

We learned a couple things about hiking in moonlight. Before you start out, give your eyes time to adjust to the darkness. I don't know how long it takes most people to fully adjust, but we started out too quickly and couldn't see at all. Second, the moon was still pretty low in the sky when we started. If you can time it, wait until it is higher in the sky so more light gets down to the trail. On the way down, we didn't need any lights.

It was a blast. I wouldn't want to night hike all my summits, but everyone should try it.

Mark said:
We learned a couple things about hiking in moonlight. Before you start out, give your eyes time to adjust to the darkness. I don't know how long it takes most people to fully adjust, but we started out too quickly and couldn't see at all. Second, the moon was still pretty low in the sky when we started. If you can time it, wait until it is higher in the sky so more light gets down to the trail. On the way down, we didn't need any lights.

It was a blast. I wouldn't want to night hike all my summits, but everyone should try it.
I've done quite a bit of night hiking, usually because the sun sets before I make it back to the car. Your night vision is better than most people think and you can do quite a bit without using your light (particularly on snow). When night hiking, I rarely use more than the medium setting on my PrincetonTec Aurora (small LED headlamp, broad beam). Night backcountry skiing can demand a much brighter light if you are going fast.

Lights also give you tunnel vision--you see only what is in the light and close objects are much brighter than distant objects. It is frequently much easier to navigate without the light because you can see the whole picture.

Night hiking is just like day hiking, except there is less light and it might be a bit cooler. :)

Doug

DougPaul said
Night hiking is just like day hiking, except there is less light and it might be a bit cooler

I would add that night navigation is a lot tougher. If you are on a poorly marked or overgrown trail it's like flying on instruments only. You lose a lot of visual clues that you take for granted during the day and it is a lot easier to become disoriented. It's also harder to judge distance travelled while walking in a small pool of light.

If the trail is well travelled, well blazed and/or familiar you won't have much trouble.

For those who have never night hiked before I suggest you pick a hike, any hike, and start before dawn and I mean while still full night. That way you get to find out what it's like but with the knowledge that it is going to get lighter, not darker! Being in the woods as it wakes to a new day is pretty magical and worth the effort alone :)

Bob

I think the best time to do a night hike is between november and april.
Mostly,when there is a snow cover.
I don't make a point to hike a 4k'ers at night, however, a quick jaunt over to monadnock around full moon is certainly not out of the question.

There's no foliage at lower elevations and you can always hit the headlamp through the conifers.

Sounds good. I was wondering about parking at night but it sounds like there won't be a problem. When I do it, it will probably be on a Sunday night. I doubt many people will be there then.

Old Toll Rd (White Arrow), Marlborough, Dublin, Gilson Pond (Birchtoft) Trailheads are all posted as "No Parking After Dark" by wish of landowner (SPNHF/ NH). Please respect this.
Headquarters welcomes this activity if ranger on duty is assured of hikers competence and preparedness.
Old Toll Rd parking will be closed on the night of Jaffrey Fireworks, a ranger will be posted there.

From experience the fireworks are best viewed from about 1/2 way up. Higher up makes them look kind of small and is often described as disappointing.

Enjoy!