Phelps Mountain

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elhefe007a

Reaction score
Hiked up Phelps this weekend, and noticed a couple things about it:

The Phelps Mountain trail is so eroded in places, it's almost sad. Some tree roots have about 2 feet of clearance between them and the ground. I havent been to the ADK's in a few years, and have yet to really start pounding out the peaks, (12 of the 46 high points), but I've heard this is becomming a major problem. My father is a 46er from the 70's, he was pretty suprised at how chewed up this trail was.
Has anyone who has been up there recently noticed the same thing?

On a positive note, Phelps easily has to have one of the best views in the ADK's. I would love to get up there in the winter time, I imagine it's fantastic. It reminds me why I am saving Haystack for my 115th, it's absolutely amazing over there.

The Great Range simply looks evil, I can't wait to get over to that ridge. (Or at least climb Big Slide for the views of it from that direction).

In case anyone is interested, here are some pictures:

http://www.forthoseabouttorock.net/climb/ADK/phelps/phelps.html

I agree about the trail up Phelps. The one section shortly after you leave the vanH trail is pretty deep. That may have to be rerouted sometime.

Phelps in winter is great. If you ski backcountry, there's also a good ski descent.

If you want a really great view of the great range, catch the view that sold us on it 21 years ago. Go up Bear Den early in the morning when the sun is shining right on the range's SE side. Unbelieveable.

Looks like you and your dad had a great day for this hike. You mentioned Camel's Hump in the background -- it looks like the day was clear enough -- if you really looked into the horizon, you could probably see the Whites!! Maybe you did. I had the same kind of day as you did on Phelps. Nice peak, but plenty ahead will rival it for "one of the best views"

TCD said:
If you want a really great view of the great range, catch the view that sold us on it 21 years ago. Go up Bear Den early in the morning when the sun is shining right on the range's SE side. Unbelieveable.

I just did Dial/Nippletop/Colvin/Blake a week ago, and views of the Great Range simply dominated that day. Strangely, I don't recall the view from Bear Den-I was kind of cruising along w/ my head down at that point I think. That burned shoulder of Noonmark also has great vistas, as do 3 of the 4 summits.
My favorite view that day was definitely from Colvin. I was impressed w/ Basin-it's a lot larger mountain than I thought.

As for Phelps, I just hiked w/ a guy who will soon finish his 46 there. Too bad about the state of the trail. Maybe because it's such an easy walk for great views.

Matt