Alpine Flower Identification

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could be alpine goldenrod (Solidago cutleri) but probably Rand's goldenrod (Solidago simplex ? not sure, I have my book at home). Rand's is taller and has more leaves climbing up the stem. Alpine goldenrod is supposed to have fewer leaves up the stem (don't count the basal leaves), less than 7 I think.

Alpine goldenrod is on the NH and ME rare lists, not sure of other states.

I change my mind, based on a few sources including "New England's Mountain Flowers" by Wallner & DiGregorio, and "AMC Field Guide to the New England Summits" by Slack & Bell. I'd ID your photo as a probable Solidago macrophylla (largeleaf or mountain goldenrod) which grows above treeline, & the leaves in the picture look similar to the ones shown in Wallner & DiGregorio. Too tall for alpine goldenrod. (don't have Slack & Bell with me, but I think it states 2-12" high. Wallner & DiGregorio state that it is rarely over 6" high.) I don't have a good picture of Rand's goldenrod anywhere, but Wallner & DiGregorio state that it is "not uncommon on lower ledges, but only occasionally ventures above tree line."

Here's a picture of alpine goldenrod I took on the Boott Spur Trail (you can definitely see them in the Alpine Garden; Wallner & DiGregorio state that Solidago macrophylla can be found there also):

Note the small notches along the leaves, and the prominent crease along the leaf midrib.