Seeking Jerimoth Hill hikers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpinista

Reaction score
Hey all,

The Associated Press bureau in Rhode Island is working on a story about the new owners of Jerimoth Hill and the new unfettered access to this high point of Rhode Island

We're looking for any folks who have "scaled" it in the past, when it was difficult to reach without risking one's life (albeit not from altitude sickness or technical terrain ;) ) -- and any folks who might have been there since.

Please e-mail me ([email protected]) or PM me if you're interested in talking with one of our reporters for the story. Thanks!

Seema: Not at all. He'll likely need that perspective as well -- and any machinations you went through to plan summiting Jerimoth without risking your neck from shotgun fire! :D :eek:

If you want to PM me some contact info, I can get it to the reporter.

I visited on a safe day, shortly after the new owners had acquired the property. I actually talked to the gentleman from the high pointers club who was telling me the new owners thought it was kinda neat that the Rhode Island high point was in the property behind their backyard.

Another safe day visitor! :) We came armed with water bottles, ready for some sort of hike... thinking that it was a little farther from the road that than it was. As we stood on the highpoint rock taking pictures, my hubby wanted to know when we were going to start hiking. It took quite a while to convince him, no this was it.

I think that was our second state highpoint... quite a difference after Katahdin, which was our first!

- Ivy

Edited to add: Come to think of it... it was an AP story on the former owner of the RI highpoint that first made me aware of highpointing in the first place!

Last edited:
Not- Unfettered

The owners have set up set times and only on weekend days as acess to the summit of RI. It is important to respect the new property owners rights and acknowledge their generousity.

I don't know details about what may have transpired in the past, but I can imagine, what with summit seeking high pointers running rampart. But I believe it is important to begin again well.

If anyone has any up to date info on access, please post it here. A few of us were just talking about taking the ride over to do the "hike" on Columbus Day Weekend, one of the holiday dates the previous owners opened the property.

Even if its open all weekends, the new owners will probably soon tire of the novelty, with Highpointers traipsing thru their property or asking directions 24-7.

Last edited:
Alpinista -

The man to talk to is a feller named Chuck Bickes. He has "hosted" the access days on Jerimoth Hill for years. Can't tell you how to get in contact with him ... although he was on Hawkeye Point a few hours before me last week. Perhaps you could try to contact Roger Rowlett, who runs both the Highpointers Home Page and America's Roof Forum. He is also on the Club Board of Directors and could probably hook you up with Chuck. You will have to register on America's Roof to post, but Rowlett simply goes by 'roger.'

As for my experience on Jerimoth Hill, it was #8 (of 31 so far) for me and I completed it on October 7, 2001 (Columbus Day). Nothing too exicting. Afterwards, I wrote a tongue and cheek account of the trip that appeared in Adirondack Peeks.

Also, not that it matters, but I posted a thread on this in General Backcountry on July 28. Peakbagr, I'm surprised ... I thought you read every post. :D :D :D

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your guidance as well as for those of you willing to be contacted by the AP reporter working on the story!