View Poll Results: Do you hike off-trail?

Voters
180. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I never use a trail.

0 0%
  • Yes, I'm off trail more than I am on a hiking trail.

18 10.00%
  • Ofter, about half my hiking is off-trail.

28 15.56%
  • Occasionally, but I mostly hike on maintained trails.

113 62.78%
  • I never have but am interested in doing so.

14 7.78%
  • I have in the past but never again will.

1 0.56%
  • Never have, never will.

6 3.33%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poll - Do you bushwhack?

Poll - Do you bushwhack?

While there is some disagreement as to whether bushwhacking or going off trail is proper and that the 'sport' is becoming more popular I will ask this - Do you bushwhack? You can add your reasons as a comment.
    I'm just outwalkin....

I have not yet...but when the 48 are done, and the 100 begin, I will have too.
    I am probably doing the Fort in BSP soon, so that may be my first. I need to go with those who know more than me...just about everyone here!
    - Mike

How bad can it be?
    Bobby

Montreal, Quebec Avatar : Minarets From Mammoth Slopes
    I will bushwack or go trailess out west. Generally here in the east the trails take you up the routes worth ascending.

Bloomville, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    Quote Originally Posted by sapblatt
    I have not yet...but when the 48 are done, and the 100 begin, I will have too.
    I am probably doing the Fort in BSP soon, so that may be my first. I need to go with those who know more than me...just about everyone here!
    Well, it was already stated recently somewhere, but Fort is not really a bushwhack, at least not by my definition.

Maybe the poller needs to define bushwhack. Is it:

- Going where there is absolutely no trail - e.g. perhaps to a wreck site
    - Using an unmaintained herd path - e.g. the Owl's head approach
    - Either of the above
    - Something else ?
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO

Or ... does "bushwhack" even mean following someone else's directions, whether you find the herd path or not.

I'm thinking of comparing, say, heading over to Fort or Redington-from-Crocker, to trips like Post'r Boy's Hancocks-to-Carrigain with Carrigain Pond and the Captain.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

In order to complete the NEHH one must do several bushwacks. Only a few involve true bushwacks, as many have well defined herd paths. The ones that come to mind as true bushwacks are PAtN, Scar Ridge, Cusuptic Snow, and Kennebago Divide.

Oh, come on, guys
    If some asks why do you hike do you have to have a well defined explanation of a hike? Like do you need to gain so many feet of elevation, or does it need to be so many miles? Did you plan the hike or did someone else and you’re just joining? Is it a 2-3 day Pemi loop or 8 hours?

I consider a bushwhack off-trail navigation. If someone considers the herd path (with blazes and cairns) on Owls Head, or the well defined route to Nancy, a bushwhack than so be it. But I hope they would include that in their reason comment. Some don’t find those well defined herd paths so therefore end up bushwacking or not following a trail to the peak.

I’m just interested in seeing the stats on off-trail use, even if you follow some one else’s lead you’re still off trail. But you can put that in your comments also.
    I'm just outwalkin....

No Reading, MA Avatar: Crater Rim, Mt Rainier, 8/4/2005
    Maintained trail, road or herd path or other manmade path = not a bushwhack
    Anything else = bushwhack

Sometimes yes, mostly stick to trails. Will be doing more whacks soon I hope, as they are very rewarding to me.

So far, I have only done so in winter.
    I was going to buy a copy of The Power of Positive Thinking, and then I thought: What the hell good would that do?

Brownie

Cross Country

Uh Oh, I am afraid to step in on this post.
    Is it safe yet?
    Are the guns down?

I voted that I occasionally hike off trial, mostly out west by necessity to reach trail-less summits, passes and cols, but never “bushwhacking” to get there.
    All travel is “cross-country” on open rocks and ledges or snow fields.
    Same for Presidential open talus regions here.

Brownie

Lately, all the time. I have done all the 3k peaks in NH and VT and have only 14 more in ME to complete the New England 3's. Of the 14 in ME I have left, half are trailed peaks and half bushwacks. I've been working on this list for 25 years, and almost don't want it to end. I really have enjoyed the bushwacking part of it, and I often repeat peaks to help friends out and provide company. I've met some great people who enjoy this pursuit, and I know based on the reaction to my thread about the ME 3's I am soon to meet some more great people!

Quote Originally Posted by SherpaKroto
    Maintained trail, road or herd path or other manmade path = not a bushwhack
    Anything else = bushwhack

SherpaK,

I guess abandoned trails would fall under your definition of "not a bushwack"? I would say it depends on the condition of the abandoned trail (Firewarden's trail on Hale vs. Dicey's Mill Cut-off). Just curious.

That said, I hike mostly on "maintained" trails. I would like to do more bushwacking in the future.

Chris

Here in the cats , we have lots of good bushwacks, many of the 35, plus most of the others over 3000'. No cairns, no herd paths on many. You really need map and compass skills, Winter is the most fun.

Banned

Only for antler sheds.

I have been know to bushwhack for miles and miles and miles if I think there might be antler sheds in the area. Honestly, I do more now that I have improved map& compass skills and a "waypoint the car" GPS.

Every chance I get. I spent yesterday morning following a new game trail.

I now live on the edge of a LOT of woods and the dog and I have started to take some serious walks. We climb a hill shoot an azimuth to the next and go. Some day I might even break down and buy a map of the area.
    “Two roads diverged in a Yellow Wood, and...”having nailed another checkpoint, I reset the bezel ring on my compass for the next azimuth, with a slight offset to the left. I took a bearing, crossed the road and re-entered the woods on my new heading.
    “... and THAT has made all the difference”.