Poll - Do you bushwhack?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you hike off-trail?

• Yes, I never use a trail.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I'm off trail more than I am on a hiking trail.

Votes: 18 10.2%
  • Ofter, about half my hiking is off-trail.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Occasionally, but I mostly hike on maintained trails.

Votes: 112 63.6%
  • I never have but am interested in doing so.

Votes: 13 7.4%
  • I have in the past but never again will.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Never have, never will.

Votes: 6 3.4%

• Total voters
There was a time when "Yes, I'm off trail more than I am on a hiking trail" truly applied without a doubt while working on the 3000 footers of the Northeast. I celebrated 40 years(!) of climbing peaks in 2004 and I'm relieved that's it's over ("all out" peak bagging days). It certainly was a very interesting and adventurous chapter of life for sure!

dms: "I've been working on this list for 25 years, and almost don't want it to end." It doesn't have to end, Dennis. You can still venture off to NY and do LOTS of 3000 footers out there too! ;)

Mavs00: "I've wondered what the hell I'm doing this for." --- my sentiments exactly ... many times .... while "straining at the bit" on a tough bushwhack over the years. It's really hard to explain .... the sport grows on you I guess.

Last edited:
I've got a lot of woods in back of our house and spend a lot of time walking to each of the hills and other map features. I can walk for 6-7 miles before I hit any major roads.

Haven't got that far yet, but can.

Theres nothing like bushwhacking..you see so much more wildlife and interesting features most have not. The usually wallow into a bog into the pemi and startle a moose ;) -Mattl

A trail is a highly controlled and ordered man-made environment. You go where it goes, either window-shopping the wilderness or catching a ride to the beginning of the shwack or up to a peak.

What I like about "bushwhacking" is that you are no longer bound by those squiggly lines on a map. You can go wherever the hell you feel like, as long as the cripplebush isn't too thick, that is. :D

I have never done a BW but hope to this winter.

Is scar ridge still a bushwack or is there a heard path to it. If not can anyone give me a good idea as to where to start from.

Eddie70 said:
....I have wussy corneas and as a result spent many an hour in the doctor's office getting scratches examined, .
It's something to think about. A few years ago, I was 'blind' for 2 weeks due to scratched corneas.

Good story... When I was in the hospital, the doctor put some stuff in my eyes, looked at it under colored light,then said,

"Tabernacle! I never saw anything so bad. I don't know what to do!"

and walked out of the room.... sure made me feel good... he came back a while later, and said, We have to bandage both eyes.

But I was combining trail running and bushwhacking. Go slow, and save your eyes..... or wear goggles.

Neil said:
A trail is a highly controlled and ordered man-made environment. You go where it goes, either window-shopping the wilderness or catching a ride to the beginning of the shwack or up to a peak.

What I like about "bushwhacking" is that you are no longer bound by those squiggly lines on a map. You can go wherever the hell you feel like, as long as the cripplebush isn't too thick, that is. :D

:D :D :D :D

Two thumbs up!

SAR-EMT40 said:
I almost always wear goggles when bushwhacking. That last thing I want to see with my remaining good eye, is my other eye hanging on the end of a twig. :eek: :D

Keith
Wearing eye protection goggles is a wise thing to do. It is a requirement in my SAR unit when on a search. When on my own I don't always do so however. In cool weather it's ok, but when it is hot humid and sweaty work through the thickets and the deer flies are abuzzin, then it gets darn hard to see through them from the sweat and smeared bugs and moisture accumulation. At times I'd say it is more dangerous to wear goggles than not, due to lack of sufficient visibility for foot placement and head knocker limbs. A good baseball cap brim and guarded hands help out a lot, but it is a lot more dangerous to travel with twigs slapping you about the head without eye protection. I have the same visibility problem when using a chain saw (in my backyard, not on trail), but in that case I will always take a break rather than risk a chunk of wood in the eye.

SAR-EMT40 said:
I almost always wear goggles when bushwhacking. That last thing I want to see with my remaining good eye, is my other eye hanging on the end of a twig. :eek: :D

Keith
One thing you will never see: BOTH of your eyes hanging from the ends of twigs.

I wear ordinary glasses and I know they do a great job because in winter I wear contacts and notice a big difference. You could simply wear a pair of glasses with clear "lenses".

I've never worn eye protection, or gloves, most times I wear shorts, gotta get the 'feel' of the woods!! If no blood is drawn, it really could not have been much of a wack.

dms: "I've never worn eye protection, or gloves, most times I wear shorts...". Dennis, surely you must remember the 2nd peak of the day VT summer bushwhack with Al Jan... back in the mid 80s. I had a blown knee (a hole in my usual LONG pants). We hit a patch of nettles en route to the summit. What an itchy knee I had! I can only imagine what you and Al felt with just shorts on that day ....!

Stinging nettles!

OMG Dennis, I DO rememberthat day vividly, I was convinced we had stepped on a wasp nest! My first experience with VT nettles, I always hiked in fear of those things after that! What a memory! Thanks!

Neil said:
I wear ordinary glasses and I know they do a great job because in winter I wear contacts and notice a big difference. You could simply wear a pair of glasses with clear "lenses".
I was wearing ordinary glasses, when I first got the branch in my eye. Yes, I was probably moving too fast, but it hit at such an angle, that it pushed my glasses sideways, and stabbed me quite hard, straight in. I really thought my eye was gone for good when that happened.

Funny the way one thinks when something like that happens. After the shock and pain subsided somewhat, still with no vision at all, I thought, "At least I have another eye."

The joke was on me an hour or so later, when, either due to the fading light, or lack of periperal vision (or both), I did the same thing to my good eye. Then I got scared.

Fortunately, adrenlyn dilates the pupils considerably, allowing me to make it out. I had bandages on both eyes for a week.... A darn boring week.. no reading, no TV, no mud wrestling, etc.

Oh yeah... Good story... After a week or so, I had to go into school for an important meeting. When it was time for me to leave, someone said,

"Help Pete, he can't see well."

I said, "I can see fine. I don't need help."

I then walked straaight into a chair, and fell over. Everyone was shocked. I was the only one who saw humor in the situation.

Oh... I now have goggles, but I don't wear them. Too hot. I do go slower, though.