Fir Wave Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooperhill

Reaction score
On my hike up to the Northern Presidentials via Six Husbands and Great Gulf trails last weekend, I passed a sign that said one of the camping areas along the GG trail was closed due to a fir wave. I'm guessing it refers to some sort of tree kill. Can some explain exactly what this is and what causes it? Does a wave refer to a specific number of dead firs or area? Is this a seasonal event? Yearly event? Is this just restricted to Douglas fir?

Thanks.

Chris

I recall reading about them a while back - There is a good example of fir waves that can be seen from Whiteface (ADKs). In fact, it might have been on the summit of Whiteface that I read about them, or perhaps in Barbara McMartin's Guidebook.

IIRC, the bands form longitudinally along mountainsides and ridges and as the trees get larger, they die off from exposure or ice accumulation and the younger trees then grow to a point where they too die off.

Course, I might be totally off base, but it is a very cool phenomenom, whatever it is.

Last edited:
Fir waves are a normal process in which fir trees die off in waves that move up (or sometimes down) mountainsides. You can often see them while hiking: fir wave Large stands of dead standing firs (Balsam, not Douglas here in the east) with new growth underneath.

As trees die, they expose those downwind of them to more nasty weather, making them die off too. Thus the waves seem to move in the direction of the the prevailing weather, although it's not as simple as that. The standing dead wood provides cover for new saplings to grow up, so the forest isn't preminently damaged.

Polution may cause more fir waves, or them to travel faster.

-dave-

Fir waves are a phenomenon that exists only in the northeast and in Japan. The conditions are that the area is too cold for insects pests to attact the trees and too wet for natural fires to renew the forest.

In these cases the trees grow untill there is some natural death. Once an open spot appears, the wind and ice will cause the trees downwind to die off. As they die, new growth comes up under the dead trees. You will see a succession of tall standing dead, down dead trees, short undergrowth, larger new growth etc. The length of a wave is (as I recall) about 300 yards from one "crest" to the next, and a wave will pass a given point in about 75 years.

The best examples I recall seeing are on Barren and the Brothers in Baxter. Look at this shot:

Fir Waves on Barren Mountain
(click for larger picture)

The waves are in long rows and they are moving slowly up the side of Barren Mountain. You don't usually see such a perfect example, more often there are a few rows and then a jumble.

Barren bushwhackers will attest that they are not friendly areas to pass through! :)

Last edited:
Mark Schaefer said:
The same phenomena occurs with spruce. The last two photos on this webpage are of spruce waves on The Brothers and The Owl in Baxter State Park.
I may be mistaken on this, but I believe "fir wave" is a generic term. More properly it should be "spruce/fir wave" since the spruce and fir are part of the same ecosystem. The "spruce waves" on (South?) Brother in the photo on that site are clearly the same phenomenon as the "fir waves" on my Barren picture (which shows South and North Brother behind Barren's peak).

In fact here's a good shot showing the Owl and Barren in front of Coe, So. Brother, No. Brother, and Fort, like pretty maids all in a row. All with "spruce/fir waves" galore.

(click for larger image)

Spencer: help us out - are these in reality "spruce/fir waves"?

Last edited:
fir waves

Here's a pic of the fir waves atop Mt. Tom that actually give this peak a view. And this is a pic of within the right hand fir wave in the first link.

In the second picture you can see the younger firs and spruce growing up from beneath the dead ones. Without the two fir waves atop Mt. Tom I dont think it would have much of a view

An interesting natural process for sure... :)

Also....sweet pics Papa Bear

Just a note that there are other "longitudinal lines" that you may see across mountainsides in the Whites that are not fir waves - they are in fact the lines of old skidder trails from the logging days that have grown back slightly differently than the surrounding forest.

The lines of dead trees, as in the pictures above, are clearly waves. But I've seen lines on some slopes that are not.

old skidder trails

MichaelJ, like these on the side of S. Hancock. (look closely at the lower right hand corner and lower center)

The south side of the loop trail crosses these.

Last edited:
TDawg said:
MichaelJ, like these on the side of S. Hancock. (look closely at the lower right hand corner and lower center)

I was about to ask if the trees on Hancock were due to these waves or rock slides.

Yup! I'm glad someone else has pix - I know I have a wonderful photo of parallel lines running across a mountainside that aren't a fir wave, but I can't for the life of me remember which hike it was on!

They are in fact comprised of both spruce and fir.

fir waves are very different from general blowdown areas that I've seen a couple of pictures of in this thread.

Metsky and PB gave pretty good descriptions of fir waves. I would not go as far, however, as to assign a consistent time frame to them. As noted, some of the best examples are on the east faces of the Brothers and on Barren.

I have one picture from the Owl looking toward Klondike Pond that shows them up close and very detailed.

there was a link above about white spruce (p. glauca) that is misleading. there is very little white spruce mixed in amongst the predominantly red spruce (p. rubens) and lesser black spruce (p. mariana).

I live in the Acadian forest of Maine (it is often incorrectly called the boreal forest). the Acadian forest is a transitional forest and has this unique mix of spruces.

spencer

This shot was taken from the Owl looking to the southwestern flank of the Tableland on the west edge of Witherle Ravine.

This shot was taken from the Owl looking northwest towards the Brothers Range. You are looking over the Klondike. Notice the bands where the species change from those of the Klondike to the upland spruce-fir on the flanks of the Brothers. Higher up the slopes of the Brothers is where the fir waves become apparent. These two pics indicate the prevailing weather pattern here comes from the east and rips across Witherle Ravine and the Klondike.

spencer

theories of causation, and more photos

reposted from Summitpost:

[Summitpost member] BobSmith noticed, in one of my photographs, a peculiar wavelike pattern of alternating bands of living and dead evergreens (spruce or fir, I wasn't sure which at the time). I also spotted it in some (but by no means all) of my other photos of New England evergreen forests.
The photos that best show the phenomenon are
here,
here, and
here.

I Googled around and discovered that the phenomenon is called "fir waves", and seems to exist only in New England (and upstate New York)
and Japan. At first I found only passing hints about theories of of causation.

The first theory posited that the wind caused blowdowns in a pattern like ripples on sand. The ripple anology appealed to me, but this theory was obviously wrong, since you can tell even from my photographs that the dead trees die while still standing.

The second theory said that rime ice buildup killed the trees. I liked this since it makes sense that rime ice buildup would be dependent on wind.

Here's BobSmith's response to that idea:

That explanation doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me. Why would tree mortality move in such an even, linear fashion?

It's no surprise that tree death and regrowth are "patchy". There is room for new trees to grow only when space is made by storm, fire, disease, etc., and it's rare for such things to affect one tree in isolation. Furthermore, one dead or falling tree
can affect its neighbors by making a hole in the "canopy", changing the amount of sunlight, wind, etc they are exposed to.
Fir trees are extremely tall and skinny, to compete for height in a crowded forest; suddenly being exposed at the side can weaken and kill them. So any disturbance has a (slight) tendency to spread outward. Meanwhile, regrowth will begin within the clearing, creating a "wave" of regeneration such as you sometimes see in Conway's Game of Life (aka cellular automata).

What needs explaining is why these disturbances sometimes take the form of parallel lines, instead of just random patchwork such as you see here. For that, you need some sort of external influence on the direction of wave propagation. In other words, you need some external factor that can cause a canopy hole to spread, but only in a particular direction. (Furthermore, this factor must affect some areas of forest more than others, to explain why North Twin has clear fir waves and South Twin doesn't.) Prevailing winds are a good candidate. (North Twin presumably has more exposure to the north wind.)

This background info from an online ecology course nicely summarizes a 1976 paper by Sprugel (which I can't find online), which states that the direct cause of tree death in these waves is rime ice. Trees exposed at the downwind edge of a hole experience 50% more wind, and correspondingly more ice gets deposited on their needles (causing mechanical damage). (Summer wind exposure plays a role too: evaporation is higher, so the trees can be starved for water.) The hole travels in one direction, because only the trees downwind of the hole are exposed. The hole also spreads sideways as it travels, forming a broadening wave. The result over time (a wave represents a 60-year lifespan of tree growth) is a series of "ripples" such as you see in the photos.

A rather more technical paper touching on the subject is here.

Last edited:
I just wanted to interject that this is a fascinating thread. I never noticed the "fir waves" before from the summit of any mountain, but I will now! I'll purposely look for them when I'm on Pharaoh Mountain this weekend.

Thanks for all the information, everyone, especially Nartreb. The Silverton/Dodd paper is very informative.

I have a copy of Sprugel's original '76 paper if anyone is interested.

some of his ideas for how they started were speculative in '76, but we've since learned a lot about the life span of fir and its tendency for "butt rot" and bole snapping.

spencer