Rig pack for hydration bladder

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dugan

Reaction score
Ran into an unanticipated issue while packing for a multi-day hike. I haven't done an overnight since switching from water bottles to a hydration system. My multi-day pack (many years old top loading Lowe) does not have a sleeve for a hydration bladder.

I'm looking for ideas on rigging a spot for the bladder. This doesn't need to be a permanent alteration. The best I've come up with so far is to somehow attach a stuff sack to the collar to hang inside the pack then run the tube out from under the lid. Any other ideas?

I just lay the bladder down it the top compartment run the tube out of the corner leaving the zipper open just enough for the tube. When using my rucksack that doesn't have a top compartment I just throw the the bladder in and run the tube out the top. Never had a leak or a flow problem. Personally I think the hydration sleeves in the new packs are hype. Mine seem to work just as well in my pack w/ the hydration sleeve, as it does in my packs w/o the sleeve.

Last edited:
Ditto Ripple. For backpacking with an older pack, I got the Unbottle, which is just a bladder with a nylon cover that has some attachment points to lash onto the back of the pack. It works fairly well. But, like Ripple, I've also just taken the bladder out of another Camelbak and thrown it in the top pocket or in a side pocket and it works fine. I run the tube under the chest cross-strap. I honestly don't know if you need the outer cover for these bladders, which are pretty tough. The one use I can think of for it is that it converts the cover into a carry pack for camp (see the pic in link). But it adds weight to your total load.

I used an older pack with a bladder this past weekend. I found that as long as the bladder was in the upper compartment, above the height of my mouth, it didnt matter what orientation it was in. I have also seen people strap bladders to the outside of older packs with pieces of webbing.

Currently, I use a combination of Nalgene Bottles and a bladder. I carry generally about 3.5+ litres with me on a hike. It's a bit much, and it does add weight, but I've become used to it and there have definately been times when I (or my hiking companions traveling with only one bottle) have been glad to have the extra water.

My expedition pack is a 10yr old Lowe Alpine and it too doesn't have a compartment for a bladder and it doesn't matter a fig. I just pack my Platypus in with everything else, keeping it against my back, and run the tube out the top. I have never had a problem with it over the course of several weeklong trips.

ripple said:
I just lay the bladder down it the top compartment run the tube out of the corner leaving the zipper open just enough for the tube. When using my rucksack that doesn't have a top compartment I just throw the the bladder in and run the tube out the top.
Ditto here. Mine has a large side pocket for a water bottle and it fits my 2L Platypus just great. The idea of buying a special pack just seems silly.