(Possible) 1st wheelchair ascent of Mt Washington Auto Rd

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
[start quote]
Plymouth state student climbs Mount Washington in wheelchair
August 12, 2005

CONCORD, N.H. --A 26-year-old man who is paralyzed from the chest down appears to have become the first person to climb the punishing Mount Washington Auto Road in a wheelchair.

Cameron Shaw-Doran began the 7.6-mile trek at 5:30 a.m. on Aug. 1. Fourteen hours and 32 minutes later, he made it to the top of the Northeast's highest peak, an apparent first in the road's 144-year history.

"My thumbs were numb during the last few miles, and with the moisture from the rain and clouds I had a hard time keeping my grip on the wheels," said Shaw-Doran, a business student at Plymouth State University.

"My elbow felt like it was going to explode," he said. "When I finally made it to the summit of Mount Washington ... it was an incredible feeling of accomplishment."

Before Shaw-Doran can officially claim to be the first to complete the feat, road officials must view a video of the climb and speak with witnesses who accompanied him.

"We have every reason to believe he made it but we don't have any company person to confirm that," said Jesse Mosston, spokesman for the Mount Washington Auto Road, who noted there is no record of previous successful wheelchair trips up the privately owned road.

Shaw-Doran and Geoff Krill, a friend who is similarly paralyzed, decided to attempt the climb after hearing about a Pennsylvania man who tried last month but dropped out after six miles.

Krill quit during a two-mile stretch of gravel road more than halfway up the mountain.

Drivers on the road are advised to stay in low gear and pull over often to let their cars cools down.[end quote]

When I read the above earlier and posted it, I thought it was a coincidence that there were two men named "Cam" who have this incredible athletic ability, one at Plymouth State and one in Easton. Now I realize that they are the same Cam, and here's a better report from the Caledonian Record. Cam may not have officially "trained" for this ascent, but if you've ever see him riding up and down Rte 116, it is very impressive indeed. He works very hard at this. Congrats Cam!

Last edited:
Waumbek said:
[start quote]
Plymouth state student climbs Mount Washington in wheelchair
August 12, 2005

CONCORD, N.H. --A 26-year-old man who is paralyzed from the chest down appears to have become the first person to climb the punishing Mount Washington Auto Road in a wheelchair.
"My thumbs were numb during the last few miles, and with the moisture from the rain and clouds I had a hard time keeping my grip on the wheels," said Shaw-Doran, a business student at Plymouth State University.

"My elbow felt like it was going to explode," he said. "When I finally made it to the summit of Mount Washington ... it was an incredible feeling of accomplishment."
[end quote]

My hands hurt just thinking about it!

Fred

Makes all of my peakbagging "accomplishments" pale in comparison. It also reminds me to not take the simple pleasure of walking for granted.

"Drivers on the road are advised to stay in low gear and pull over often to let their cars cools down."

Wow, I didn't know that about that road, but then what I know about the Whites could fill up a thimble.

Matt

Truth or rumor?

Just curious: has anyone heard any ridiculous rumors about police involvement in this?