reliable water at slant rock?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
I am doing basin and saddleback and want to know if there is reliable water at slant rock. With this dry spell I will need to hydrate there and I dont want to carry all my water from the trail head.

Yes**, There is a pretty significant stream right in front of Slant Rock. You will also cross that same stream about 5 minutes beyond Slant Rock as you turn onto the "Shorey Steep Cut" :eek:. Going in this direction, that would be the last reliable water on this loop (that you directly pass by) untill your reach the Ore Bed Brook below the Saddleback/Gothics col.

If for some reason you forget to "filler up" there, you could also find water at the site of the former Snobird Lean-to in the col between Basin/Haystack. To get there, you would have to go 10-15 minutes down to the right as you reach the Range trail from the Shorey Steep Cut junction. REMEMBER: You will be heading left at that junction to reach Basin Summit.

Enjoy, It's a dandy loop.

** - I believe the stream near Slant Rock is Johns Brook. Granted, its getting up around 3400-3500 feet towards the headwaters, but I'm aslo pretty sure it considered a year round source.

Last edited:
I can't imagine the brook is dry there. Look at the levels in Chicken Coop brook, which runs into Bushnell Falls and the one you travel along once leaving the JB. If that is dry, go fill up from the JB. The section from there to Slant Rock is very easy, so you won't really start climbing until you hit SR. The JBL also has an outside tap you can access on the western side of the porch. Hopefully someone will chime in with up to the minute info...

Yes

I was just there on Friday, 8/12 on my way to Marcy and Haystack and the stream just before Slant Rock has a very healthy flow going, along with a beautiful crystal clear pool.

The stream at the Shorey Short Cut junction is flowing good as well.

The streams are running but not an issue crossing. Enjoy