Backpacking with a DSLR?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehikingdude

Reaction score
I happened to stumble across this site and I must say I'm impressed!!! Now to my quandry.

I currently own a Nikon D70 and am very close to buying a Coolpix 5900 or 7900 for an upcoming backpacking trip. I have yet to purchase it and am really starting to wonder if I should just bite the bullet and take the D70 with me.

I know others go backpacking with a DSLR, I can't be the only person out there that might be lugging one up the mountain.

Am I crazy for thinking of doing so? Should I get a P&S instead?

If any of you have gone backpacking with a DSLR, I'd love to know what your experience has been.

Thanks,

Jeff

Welcome! Glad you like the site--we love it here.

I have a digital P&S (Canon) and a big Nikon SLR (film). I leave the monster home when I want to up the speed, but otherwise I'll carry it in a Lowe camera pack on my chest, with a neck strap and a chest strap. The pack opens toward me. It's not much of a hassle, and it's easily accessible--even more so than pulling the digital out of a belt pouch!

The story is the same whether I'm day hiking or backpacking. I can do so much more with the SLR, too, so I hate to leave it behind for fear of finding the "perfect shot," where the little one just doesn't cut it.

Of course, if you're traveling ultralight, you can just forget everything I just said. :D

Hi,

I'm far from ultralight, even before I put on the backpack. ;)

I've been getting feedback on a Nikon D70 forum and I think I am going to go for it and bring the beast. I just ordered a new sleeping bag which will shave 1 lb 5oz. off my overal weight and I think I will leave behind those things that I just never seem to use.

Now I just need to figure out where I'm going to head to for 4-5 days in the Northwest!

thx, jeff

I hike with a Canon G3, which is not a DSLR but it's not too tiny either. I recently did Mt Rainier with it and carried it in a Lowe camera case that I put my sternun strap through it so it's on my chest and always had access to it. Has always worked well for me. I think it is doable and if you enjoy photography, then surely you would regret compromising. I'd say go for it! :)

Jay

I don't have a DSLR, but I have a G3 with a 58mm filter extension attached which makes the camera about the same size as a SLR. I carry it the same way as MadTownie.

I don't really notice the weight, but sometimes when I'm scrabmling or taking large steps up/down I keep hitting the case with my knees. If it starts getting in the way too much I just put the case in my bag till I'm done with that section of trail.

I've dropped the camera a couple of times and it has suffered a lot of cosmetic damage, but it still works fine. I know the D70 is pretty sturdy but if you are clumsy like me that might be an additional consideration.

^MtnMike^

Last edited:
I have a Canon Digital Rebel 300D, and I carry it whenever I can afford the time, the weight, have a forecast for good weather, and can have the case hanging on the side of my pack's hip belt. On bushwhacks I'll often put the camera inside the pack and only take pics at the destination. It has to be a trip when I'll have the time to actually compose good shots (or even swap lenses).

If it's going to be a speedy or rainy trip, then I just carry a PowerShot S230 (Elph).

I have been carrying the Elph for backpacking just to save on the weight; however, now that I'm more used to taking the Rebel hiking I think I would be sorely tempted to take it on my next trip. Then comes the quandry of which lens to take...

2 cents worth...

The Nikon D70 is an excellent cam but like all DSLRs IMHO is cumbersome and bulky when hiking. (the extra lenses alone plus the bulk of the camera). I bought a Nikon 5700 a few yrs ago and then upgraded to a Nikon8700 (same) and then bought a Minolta A2 (8X zoom, I/S)which I love but it is also relatively big when hiking. A few months ago I bought a very compact Casio Z750 (7mp 3Xzoom and high quality) and that is now my hiking cam. Very compact, easy to acess and fast. Easily fits in your pocket. IMHO, small is better when hiking w/o sacrificing quality of course.

Glad you like the site, welcome aboard.

It depends on what your goals are. Do you want to hike or do you want to take pictures? I find that I do two kinds of hiking. I either hike to hike or I hike to take pictures. I'f I am hiking to hike, then I'll either bring a small point & shoot or no camera at all. If I am hiking with the intention of photography, then I will haul my DSLR, 3 or 4 lenses, filters, and a tripod.

If I am going backpacking and I want to haul my camera gear, then I'll go with someone that doesn't mind the slower pace and will carry a little extra gear in exchange for nice photos. "I'll carry all my photo gear and give you some nice pix if you haul all my food" - that usually works. (They get the short end of the stick though because I eat a lot.)

So, it just depends on what your goal is. If you want to take pictures like this one or this one that can be blown up to 11x14 or even 16x20, then you need to carry an SLR and a tripod. If you just want to be able to take pictures that will document your memories of a backpack, then go with a small point and shoot. You will cover more miles and enjoy the reduced weight.

As for carrying a(n) (D)SLR, get a LowePro top load camera bag (or something similar) and strap it on your hip belt. I put a carabiner through a clip on the camera bag and then clip it on a side strap of the backpack. That keeps the camera bag on your side. Otherwise it will just keep sliding down to the front and smack you in the yarbles. The carabiner also keeps the camera bag attacked to your backpack when you unclip the hip belt. Otherwise when you unclip your hip belt to take your pack off the camera bag could just slip right off it and fall to the ground.

- darren

I'll bring the DSLR when I'm hiking alone or when I know my hiking partners are going to be really patient. Carrying the DSLR really slows my pace, not so much because of the weight, but because I like to spend time poking around for good shots. So if hiking for mileage and/or pace is in the plan, I'll leave the big gun at home (and try not to regret the missed shots!)

I've got a plan that'll get you out of your dilemma, Hikingdude. Send me the DSLR in the mail, and let me know where you've been hiking. I'll do the same hike, snap some cool photos and you can pretend they're yours.

Edit: I just noticed you're in Oregon. I guess this deal isn't so attractive unless you can afford my airfare.

When I was starting out I really appreciated the ease & portability of my Powershot. It made it easy to take a lot of pictures, so I improved quickly. But now I'm itching for more pixels, more zoom, and more control in tough light. It's the damn prices that are killing me.

Last edited:
To all:

Thanks to all for the comments. I've learned that my buddy can't make it, so I will be going alone for the first time - multiple nights that is. I have a loop planned out that will be 41 miles over 5 days, with a climb up a smaller mountain.

I will be bringing the D70 for sure as I get a great deal of enjoyment at looking at pictures to remind me of where I've been. And at this point I have no choice as the D70 is all I have, and I just can't bring myself to purchase a P&S at this time. If I get a windfall of cash I'm sure I will though as I miss the video option.

I've got a new sleeping bag a polarizer filter on the way so I will get to experiment with that. The area where I'm headed has dozens of lakes so it will be interesting to see how the filter deals with the water reflection since I won't have much time to experiment with it before I go.

Before I forget, I saw a deal the other day that allows you to recharge AA's with solar power, costs about $16. Anybody ever hear of such a thing or tried it? Seems too good to be true. I need to double check but I think it was in the Campmor catalog.

What about the Zing Action Cover from Tiffen - anybody ever see it/try it? It's a neoprene camera cover that covers the camera and a strap that keeps it snug to your body so it's not rocking all over the place - assuming you have it on a strap. I already have the Tamrac Backpack camera strap which works great - puts all the weight on the straps rather than around your neck. The only bad part is when the camera starts swaying depending on how fast your are going, etc.

Nartreb - Sorry, I won't be able to take you up on your generous offer.

Mad Townie - Are you referring to the film on top of yogurt before you mix it up? :p

Darren - Are those your photos? The second one is incredible! Your yarble comment made me laugh. I have yet to take the D70 at all with my large pack so I need to get experimenting to see what's going to work best. I have a toploader that holds the D70 with the 18-70 quite nicely, but not with my 70-300 attached. Any pics of your setup?

Everybody else - Thanks for the comments and your insight.

You people have no idea how awesome it is to find a backpacking forum that also has some people that actually know the different between an f-stop and a white balance setting. :D

If any of you care to see my photo gallery go to: http://jeffandjean.smugmug.com/Hiking
The pics from May to July of 2005 are the ones from the D70. All the others are from a Sony P&S, which I no longer own, and the most recent trip were taken with my buddies Sony.

OK, enough of my blabbering. I will be sure to post some pics when I return for those that might want to see what it's like here in Oregon.

Thanks,
Jeff

Mad Townie said:
So does anyone (besides me) still use film? :confused:

Both of the shots that I linked to were shot on film. Fuji Velvia 50 speed slide film. But...now that I have the digital body and can use all my lenses from my film body, I don't know that I will shoot film anymore. It's tough getting prints that look how you want with print film. It is tough getting a good print from slide film. It is a major pain to scan slides and remove the dust. With the DSLR, I shoot how I want, the pictures come out how I want, and I can make great prints with minimum effort. My 8MP DSLR makes big prints just as sharp or even sharper than shooting with pro 35mm film.

The big bonus is the cost savings. I used to pay $9 a roll for pro slide film and then another $10 a roll to get it processed. On a trip, I would shoot about 15 rolls of film, or about $300 worth. Now I shoot for "free" and only pay to get prints of the shots I want. My $1200 camera is paid for in 4 trips.

I used to be a die hard film guy and really resisted the digital age, but now that I've gone digital I can't see myself ever going back to film.

- darren

Darron - what are you favorite lens to carry on a hike?

I use a Nikon D-100 and mostly a 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor but am thinking of a longer one. Your thoughts?

bobandgeri said:
Darron - what are you favorite lens to carry on a hike?

I use a Nikon D-100 and mostly a 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor but am thinking of a longer one. Your thoughts?

I usually carry my Canon 24mm f2.8, which is my favorite lens for landscapes. Then I have a 28-80mm zoom for general purpose. After that, it depends on what subjects I think will find. If there will be wildlife (out West etc) I will carry a 75-300mm. In the spring I carry my Canon 100mm f2.8 macro lens for wildflower shots. That lens is incredibly sharp and has great color saturation, but it is a bit heavy so I don't carry it on every hike. So, depending on the location/time 3 out of those 4 or maybe all 4.

I have borrowed Carmel's brother's Canon 100-400 mm Image Stabilized lens a few times. It is awesome, but it is way to big to take backpacking. I have hauled it a few miles, but that is it. I plan on hauling it up to Tuckerman Ravine next spring. :D

I have the Canon 20D, which has a 1.6 magnification factor. It really helps me on the tele end, my 300mm turns into a 480mm, which is great for wildlife and skiers etc. BUT, it kills me on the wide end. My favorite lens, the 24mm f2.8, turns into a plain jane 38mm. Ugh.

My next lens purchase will be the Canon 10-22mm lens that is made just for the 20D and digital Rebel series. It gives you an incredible 16 - 35mm. I don't think I will be using the 16mm too often, but I will use it a lot around 24mm which should be right around the middle sweetspot for sharpness. I hope to get it in the next month or so.

So, for general purpose I will carry the 10-22mm and the 28-80mm. I will probably still carry the 24mm just to fill up the gap and to have a faster lens.

Darren - Are those your photos? The second one is incredible! Your yarble comment made me laugh. I have yet to take the D70 at all with my large pack so I need to get experimenting to see what's going to work best. I have a toploader that holds the D70 with the 18-70 quite nicely, but not with my 70-300 attached. Any pics of your setup?

Yup, those are mine. Check out this gallery for some more of my shots. That shot of Lake Louise is still one of my favorites.

I will try to find a picture of me with my set up and post it tonight.

One note on the 70-300mm not fitting in the toploader. Just in case you haven't noticed it, when you try to put the camera with that lens into the bag, zoom to 75mm and make sure you switch the lens to manual focus and turn the focus ring all the way to make the lens as short as possible. If you leave the lens on auto focus and the last subject made the lens focus out, it will be long and not retract. I'm sure you already figured that out, but I thought I should post it in case you didn't. My 75-300mm and 20D fit in my bag but you might have a smaller one.

- darrEn

ps: I moved this thread to General Backcountry because it is not specific to the Northeast

darren said:
My 75-300mm and 20D fit in my bag but you might have a smaller one.

Yep, mine is smaller. It's a perfect fit for the 18-70 kit lens but that's it.

Impressive gallery!!!

-jeff

Darren,

Great pix.
When going hiking to shoot, how do you plan your trip? Light is everything, so does your thought process include where you will be on the trail when the light is good? Do you leave before sunup? What about new hikes, where you don’t know where the good spots will be.
Can you elaborate on your thought process when planning hikes when you will be shooting?

I am a former full-time shooter and have an F-100 and D2H, 17-55mm f2.8, 70-210mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8 (all heavy stuff). My only other option is a Nikon CoolPix 995 which is getting a little dated. I have yet to bring my pro gear on any hike, but am really starting to want more in the pictures I bring back.

The EF-S 10-22mm lens Darren mentioned is a sweet ultra-wide, to be sure.
There is a pretty thorough review of it at The Luminous Landscape.
His main gripe is that lens won't work on the full frame cameras (it is an $800 lens, after all), but otherwise gives it pretty high marks across the board.

I used this lens on a Rebel XT for 10 or so :D days this winter, and was very happy with everything about it - it's light, fast focusing, and very sharp, with a mimimum of distortion.