Herd Path from Imp to 19Mile Brook?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puck

Reaction score
Friday I had completed the Wildcat and Carter Ridge witha n over night at the hut with my son. Great trip, great weather. I though that there was a herd path from Imp trail where it cuts North at its closest point to Cowboy Brook. I didn't see any type of herd path. so we bushwacked to the brook. Complete with scratches and scrapes etc. My son let me know he did not like bushwacking. We got tot he brook and followed it to Camp Dodge then walked the 4.5 mi back to Pinkham on Rt 16.

Because it was a great hike with a bad end I told my son we will go to the Mountain Wanderer for a treat. (books last so much longer then ice cream) We had the pleasure of running into Dr Wu. So we ahd a great chat. Collectively it was determined that there may not be enough use to between these trails to pack down a herd path.

Does anyone know

There is an old woods road that connects to Joe Dodge (from the Imp Trail, keep just to the left of Cowboy Brook's channel) that still appears to receive some foot traffic, though the woods are open enough that it's not particularly urgent to find. If you search around Dodge, you'll see where it comes out, which can make it easier to backtrack to its source.

Reactions: yam
I've heard of it as an easy bushwhack, very doable, but never as a herd path, and not done that often, either.

So my impression seems to corroborate your findings.
:)

Max and I did the same "bushwhack" a number of years ago, not long after they logged the area, so it was a rather easy stroll through the woods until we reached Dodge Camp. I figured an unofficial, or possibly an official path, would remain, but apparently not.

Tell your son it could have been worse. The last time I bushwhacked I stepped on a yellow jacket nest in the ground. I'll take the scratches any day.

Smitty

el-bagr said:
There is an old woods road that connects to Joe Dodge (from the Imp Trail, keep just to the left of Cowboy Brook's channel) that still appears to receive some foot traffic, though the woods are open enough that it's not particularly urgent to find. If you search around Dodge, you'll see where it comes out, which can make it easier to backtrack to its source.
I thought the woods road was very obvious and had obvious foot traffic, but it was after you swing away from Cowboy Brook. As EB mentions, this brings you out at the old CCC camp/present trails center, so if you are going to the 19MB parking lot you might be better off bushwhacking across higher up especially in winter.

I thought it was easy to find

I did the Carters a few weeks ago, and came out on the Imp. I found this cutoff easily enough. Just look for a clearing about 15' wide to the left where the trail cuts to the right pretty sharply. The path is pretty overgrown (make sure to check for ticks when you leave), but also pretty obvious, and is only about a 5-minute walk to where it empties out at Camp Dodge. From there it's another maybe 5 minute walk down 16 to 19 mile trailhead. Beats going up the Imp another 3/4 mile and then back down 16 for a mile. I wouldn't even really call this a bushwhack.