Leaking Thermarest - to fix or to replace

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluethroatedone

Reaction score
I just found that my thermarest has a leak..the options I have are as follows:

1. Buy $7 repair kit...and hope it works .... Going on 9 day backpack, so concern is that I'm left up shoot creak without the proverbial paddle

2. Buy similar one at REI outle $50

3. Buy the cool new orange one - $70-90 depending on if I get the 3 or 4 thickness

Questions for the group:

A) Anyone tried repairing a Thermarest? How hard was it? Did it work and last? For how long? Did it work first time or is it like reDWRing a jacket...have to do it a few times for it to really work

B) Those who have the new orange thermarest, any thoughts on how much much better they are than the old model (maroon) and throughts about the 3 vs. the 4?

Thanks

Blue

I had one spring a leak so I bought the kit, followed the instructions very, very carefully and it worked perfectly. It is fine 2 years later.

I just bought a Prolite 4 (3/4 length) and i think it's great.

Therm-a-rest ProLite

I bought the ProLite 3, brought it home, inflated it, and took it back to get the ProLite 4. The 3 was not nearly thick enough for me. I had used a Therm-a-rest Guidelight for years. I love the ProLite 4. The weight and space savings are great, it easily packs inside of my pack, which is great for bushwhacking.

I have input on both questions! :)

I repaired my first therma-rest (the ultralight) using the kit after my cat scratched it and it worked just fine (but didn't look too pretty, as I didn't use the patch, just the goopy stuff for the small holes.) I submerged the thermarest in the bathtub and marked all of the air bubble holes with a marker before repairing and it worked fine thereafter.

The second time my cat scratched it (okay I have since learned to put it out of reach!) I decided to buy a new one rather than repairing all those holes again. I bought a pro-lite 4 the second time around. I find it's cushier than the ultralight but also a little bit skinnier... I had to get used to sleeping on a little smaller width. So far it's worked well (and the cat hasn't gotten to it!)

- Ivy

I haven't had much luck with the patches, but small holes (the usual kind) can be very affectively repaired with progressive coats of shoe-goo.

Use the bathtub, as PI mentioned, and mark the leak with a marker. Let the mattress dry thoroughly and then apply one thin coat of shoe-goo. Let it dry and repeat a couple of times.

I usually use 3 coats. I've done this several times on my 3 thermarests and it keeps them working great. I've never had one of these repairs blowout, although I did have a patch blowout.

If I got a hole big enough to need a patch, I think I'd fork over the bucks for a new one.

spencer

I just repaired mine at home using the kit and an iron. The messiest part was cleaning the iron, and the repair looks great.

I used the iron to fully wet out the patch with the hot bond stuff. I thought there would be a huge loss of flexibility in the mattress--making it awkward to roll up, but there is almost no loss.

I got a small pinhole leak in my old full-length Thermarest (remember those old slippery copper orange ones about 15 years ago?) When I pulled out my kit, I realized it was useless because the kit (around 12-13 years old) had rock hard glue and the backings fell right off the patches when I separated them. I had to go out and buy another kit.

After that finding the leak and patching it up were a piece of cake.
It has been either 5 or 6 years now and absolutely no problems.

Like Poison Ivy said, I inflated it, closed the valve and dropped it in the tub and watched for the bubbles. I then circled the area with a piece of chalk and waited for it to dry. Worked like a charm. (PS don't mark the spot with Duct Tape, they say the glue will never stick after the tape has been removed.) :)

Last edited:
My first Thermarest had a zillion holes, the coating must not have been applied thickly enough. I sent it back to Cascade Designs and they replaced it with a new one.

That one got a couple of pinholes and they were repaired easily with the standard patch kit. A few years later, it developed a small leak that I have been unable to find (I even replaced the valve), so I bought a new one.

If you can find the hole, it's worth patching.

Mine has two patches and going strong.

First was actually right on the outside seem, thought to be impossible to fix. Good as new the last three years.

The second hole was during a solo trip in the Dacks last year. I field patched it using the kit right at the Sno-bird tent site (about as far from any road as you can get) Slept on it like a baby a few hours later.

However, I can't wait for another blow out so I can use the excuse to get a PL4! So, do both. New and back-up.

I popped one ten years ago. I patched it, and I've never had another problem with it.

Bluethroatedone said:
Those who have the new orange thermarest, any thoughts on how much much better they are than the old model (maroon) and throughts about the 3 vs. the 4?

I have a guidelight and a prolite 4. I prefer my guidelight, it's wider and feels cushier. I'm 6'4'' 230lbs so I dont' opt for the thinnest pads. I usually take my prolite 4 on backpacking trips now though since it is a lot lighter and less bulky then the guidelight.

Ultimately I'd prefer an ultralight Simmons Beautyrest, who wouldn't ... :rolleyes:

-Shayne

I poped my original full length thermarest with a knife several years ago and used duct tape to survive with it the rest of the week long trip. It would be flat by the morning. I went out and bought the patch repair kit when I got back home and used it to do the repair and it has worked great. I now own a 3/4 length ultralight that I bought a couple of years ago and that I use during the 3 seasons and only really use the full length old one in the winter.

Keith

To date I have patched 4 or 5 of my Thermarests, which is how I got them, they all had holes and were thrown away. I have 3 more to patch, including a 4" thick one, which only has a small hole. So far I've never had a patch even come close to letting go (if you see the patch and glue, you'll know why).

I'd definitely get the kit, it's worth it and would be very easy to repair on the trail.

I also have a Guidelite (2 actually, one older and one newer), and it's WAY more comfortable than my 3/4 Prolite 3, but also more than twice the weight.

The full length Ridgerest is lighter than the Prolite 3 though.

Try listening before submerging in water

I've been able to hear the leak in my thermarest by giving it a good squeze and moving it around listening for the "psssssss". That way you don't have to wait for it to dry before applying a patch. I'd try this first before I'd resort to water. My mechanic uses a spay bottle of soapy water to find leaks in tires. May work for the thermarest too.

I too would defintely recomend patching as long as the hole isn't on a seem or around the valve.

Thanks all

I have been meaning to thank everyone. I bought the kit last weekend and patched my Guidelite. Without you guys/gals I wouldn't have the confidence to take the thing for 9 days backpacking next week and would have spent $90 bucks on a new one.