Hiking Allen Solo?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meeshstick

Reaction score
Hi All,

Question of sanity/safety for all of you: I am an experienced, fit hiker and a mere 8 peaks away from being a 46er. I would love, LOVE to finish this season, preferably by doing Whiteface and Esther on August 30 with my two friends so we can all finish what we started together three years ago. The last long slog we have to do is Allen. We tried yesterday, but after an hour of hiking and being completely drenched, we bagged the hike for the day. We probably could have done it, but we wouldn't have been friends anymore.

In any case, they are teachers, so they'll be able to get back over there on a weekday before the end of the summer. I'm a working stiff, but as I said I'd still like to finish with them, so I'm thinking of doing Allen alone on Saturday, August 27. As I said, I'm confident in my hiking ability, but this will be the most remote, longest hike I've ever done alone. Since it's on a Saturday, I doubt I will truly be alone. The next day, according to our "finish the high peaks in 2005" schedule, we will do Saddleback and Basin.

Is there any wisdom in attempting Allen alone on that Saturday, or should I just admit to myself that I'm destined to end the 46 on Allen sometime this fall?

Thanks!

Solo hiking can be pretty rewarding. The approach to Allen is pretty flat and straight forward. What makes Allen difficult in a day is just because it is so darn long.

I wouldn't think twice about doing Allen solo, but maybe that's just me. You're right it is a Saturday and chances are you won't be the only one out there, especially if the weather is nice. If the weather looks bad then I would maybe reconsider the solo trip.

I guess the question I would ask to you is how much solo hiking have you done? Do you feel comfortable with it? Are you OK solo in the dark?

Also, doing Basin/Saddleback the next day could be pretty tiring after doing Allen the day before.

-Shayne

Allen is very doable as a solo hike. I did it by myself last summer midweek and only saw one person the entire day. It would have been nice to have an MP3 player to keep me company.

The trail is easy to follow. Just watch out for the slippery rock on the way up and down. If you hit your head, there will be no one to hear your grunt.

Go for it!

As Spaddock wrote, it can be very rewarding. Most of my 46 were done solo for lack of finding a hiking partner. I might think twice about doing a serious bushwhack solo, but I'd probably end up doing it. Make sure you have a headlamp.

Remember three things: a) there is nothing wrong with hiking in the dark, b) there is nothing wrong with hiking in the rain (unless it is cold and you don't have proper clothing), c) views are bonus, not essentials. If you abide by these, you will find you have much more time to hike.

Not sure if you're interested, but we are doing Allen and Marshall this coming Friday and Saturday. Not sure which day we'll do them, but they are Friday 8/19 and Saturday 8/20 plans. We will be at the VFTT gathering this weekend and leave from there early. Send me a P/M if you have any interest. I just did Basin, Saddleback and Haystack in a loop last week. It will be long, but certainly can be done. I believe there are others going into this area from the "gathering" as well. slam

Re Allen

We just did Allen this past weekend. It is well marked at the beginning. Once you start up the slide, you just pay attention, you can follow the trail. The only reason I would be concerned about hiking this solo is if you do slip and fall. There is alot of slippery and I do mean not just slippery but like trying to walk on ice on one part but other than that....

I say, go for it. It's not a hard climb, but it is a longer one, so you should bring a headlamp. I would suggest getting a copy of Barbara McMartin's book, but it's really not a bad hike at all. It wasn't that long ago that Allen was a bear of a climb because of all the blow-down, but that's been really cleaned up. This time of year, the trailless peaks are at their most "trailed." The herd paths should be very visible after a whole summer of other hikers finding their way and the leaves or snow haven't fallen yet to obscure the trail. (I made that mistake once of bagging a bunch of trailless peaks solo in the fall and lost my way out in the dark because leaves had covered the ground.) If you go, hope you enjoy your hike.

Perhaps this bit of info can help in the future. I noticed that many of the ADK chapters post their chapter hikes on their web sites. There is a link on the main ADK site to the various chapters.

More maddening and of no use to Meeshstick is the discovery that two chapters had hikes up Allen on 8/13. The Albany and I think Keene Valley I may be wrong on the second. But anyway it was two chapters. A fine time to discover that Meeshstick a day late. Oh well I post this for the benefit of any of you considering a solo remote hike per chance an ADK chapter is headed there. I understand they welcome non members. Hope it helps.

Also the GMC has group hikes in VT, NH, and ADK so that may be a resource as well.

Thanks for your support, everyone! I've been reading VFTT for awhile, but this was my first post.

I've done quite a bit of solo hiking. At first it was out of necessity (my primary hiking partners had moved away and I had trouble convincing my fair-weather hiking friends that getting up at 5 or 6am to head to the Dacks from Burlington VT was a good idea). I was afraid at first that I'd a). get lost and b). get lonely. Turns out I did neither, and grew to really enjoy hiking alone. I have McMartin's book, and thanks, Sikes family, for your trip report. I've printed that out as well for reference. I don't particularly like hiking in the dark, but I will.

From what you all say, I think I'll plan on it - and I'll check to see if there are any chapters headed up that day. I figure, for such a long, dirty hike, perhaps it's best I just go it alone anyway, that way when I inevitably get grouchy and start whining I'll be the only one who has to listen! (I'm normally a very happy hiker, but like everyone I have my moments!).

Also, thank you for the invite, Slamdog! This weekend we'll be doing Cliff, Redfield and Grey from the Upper Works. We'll hike in Friday and hopefully camp at the Uphill Lean-to. If you're doing Marshall, perhaps we'll see you on the way in or out! I loved Marshall when I did it a few years ago, even though it poured rain the whole time. Like hiking in a rainforest.

Anyway, thanks again for your encouragement!

Just watch for the red algae on the Allen slide, cuz that stuff is slick. And don't try climbing down there in the dark. Other than that, the miles do seem to go by quicker with someone to talk to, and there are a lot o' miles to do on Allen. Good luck and have fun!