Book recommendation

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapblatt

Reaction score
Rols recommended a very interesting book to me called "Deep Survival" by Laurence Gonzalez. Deep Survival
The book looks at a variety of people who got stuck in dire situations (a lot of back country and mountaineering) and examines how they got in their predicament and what things they did that either helped them to survive, or did them in.
I know a lot of people here ask for book suggestions, and I thought this was a real good one for a lot of folks here.

Here is a nice read from Larry Gonzalez: Survival
I don't know if it is an excerpt from his book, but it is interesting. I had posted this in a VFTT forum a couple of years ago, but I think it might have been before one of the crashes, or during the server archives cleanup.

Rick said:
Here is a nice read from Larry Gonzalez: Survival
I don't know if it is an excerpt from his book, but it is interesting. I had posted this in a VFTT forum a couple of years ago, but I think it might have been before one of the crashes, or during the server archives cleanup.
The contents of the url look like they may be a draft of a chapter in the book.

I had mixed feelings about the book. There was some good stuff on the process of becoming lost, but the author over reaches on some other stuff. For instance, he comments multiple times about "chaos theory", but it is clear that he doesn't know anthing about it. IMO, the book could be improved by throwing away some of the irrelevant noise.

Doug

I had recommended this one as well (in previous threads). It's a somewhat unique take on survival skills in general. There is some reaching as Doug mentioned, but overall I found it thought provoking.

BTW, I originally picked it up just because the title of Chapter 11 amused me so much: We're All Gonna F#@%ing Die!

David Roberts had an excellent article about one year ago in Outside Magazine. It's what led me to his book. He makes the important point that it is our mental approach to being in the wilderness even more than our equipment that keeps us safe when things are going well and when they fall apart.

He makes an important point that "survivors" must deal with their environment with a framework that is adapted to the circumstances at hand. Mental preparation is a necessary part of getting ready for any trip into the woods. I found David Roberts book helpful with this preparation.