Bonds/Zealand Traverse, 8/19

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TroutBumNH

Reaction score
I just saw Marty's report below, and made a similar trip myself on Friday. I chose to make the complete Lincoln Woods to Zealand Road traverse.

I made this trip about 6 years ago as an overnight, with a friend who had a lot of trouble with his knees. We also had absolutely terrible weather. So we shot right past West Bond to Guyot campsite for the night. The next morning, things were equally terrible, so we just shot out via the Twinway, and blew right by Zealand as well. So with just 3 of 48 to go, I had to nail these two. 6 years ago I thought i'd be back in 2 weeks... the best laid plans....

I was late out of Portsmouth, and didn't leave the trailhead at Lincoln Woods until 7:55am. The cruise on the Wilderness Trail is a great warm up. Only about an hour and fifteen to the Bondcliff Trail... generally uneventful, but with good temps and sun. The Bondcliff Trail is easier going than I remembered.. a very nice moderate climb except for 1 or 2 steep pitches of stone steps... it moderates again, and then there's the long sidehill traverse, then a little climb right up to that little cliff... You know the one... You scramble up it, then turn to be greeted with an astounding view of the Pemi Wilderness.

The weather was on my side and I continued up to the cliffs... There were two guys there, so we were able to take our "posed Bondcliff shots". I left them to continue onto my first goal of the day, West Bond. I love the feeling of being able to see your destination as you walk around above treeline... Kinda like when you can first see the Greenleaf Hut from Little Haystack, and then can use it as a reference point the whole was up Franc Ridge...

Anyway, made it over Bond, and to the spur on West Bond. I followed another gentleman up the trail, and made the peak.... Yup. Absolutely among the very best views in the Whites. Hands down... I spent a few minutes eating a bit, and considering having #46 under my belt... Getting there, but many miles left on the day.... Back to the Bondcliff trail, and over to Guyot. Up and over Guyot and down (and back up) to Zealand. I can't believe I blew past this little spur path in the past, but there I was, going in for # 47. I sat down for some water, and it started to hit me......... one more peak... Isolation. Another with potential killer views.....

From the peak of Zealand, it was down to the Zeacliff (more gorgeous views) and the hut (always fun to empathize with the croo when that night has about 30 12-15 year-olds in the hut... yikes!)... then the 2.7 miles out, which can be covered in record time.

With the spurs to West Bond and Zealand, I totalled the book distance to 19.7 miles, which I will round right up to 20 (I had to hitch back around to Lincoln Woods, which certainly added .3 miles. That was it's own adventure, complete with some hair raising miles in a banana yellow Cooper Mini S Convertible). Total time was about 8 hours and 45 miutes. It's a long day of walking (I was solo, so breaks were pretty minimal save for drinking in some views), but between the Cliffs, West Bond, and the Zeacliff area, and good ol' above treeline trekking, this route offers quite a bit... I'd recommend it heartily!!

So one more to go... Isolation... I might wait until the colors start turning for this one... Any thoughts on that?

Last, since I was asked a bunch of times through the day: Yes, that is a Barcelona shirt I'm wearing !! Go FCB!

Mike

Great trip and report.
As for Isolation...it is also a long hike, but quite moderate. I did the standard route - out and back via Rocky Branch. A nicer option view wise is to at least go in via Glen Boulder - hoever, this has a lot more elevation to deal with in both directions. Rocky Branch has 4 stream crossings that can be dangerous. Lately, things have been calm, but if there are heavy rains it can change everything.
Good luck!

Mike, How are the views from Isolation? I am doing it a 2 day backpack down the the Dry River Trail. Not sure if you remember me, I think I met up with you last October at Carter Notch Hut.

You definately had much better weather for that one than we had Sunday morning. We had a great view of clouds from the Bonds ;)

Iso views

hikerfred said:
Mike, How are the views from Isolation? I am doing it a 2 day backpack down the the Dry River Trail. Not sure if you remember me, I think I met up with you last October at Carter Notch Hut.

Hiker Fred -

views are among the best in the whites...surrounded by high peaks and forest, very little man made stuff in site (summit buildings/towers).

I think I remember you...I sent you a private message...