Spruce Peak among others

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AntlerPeak

Reaction score
I have not seen any trip reports regarding this unique area and as it is perhaps a favorite of mine I thought I'd throw it out here. I am refering to Merck Forest in Rupert Vermont. This area has a bit of everything and is ideal for initiating children to hiking and camping. There is a farm center with displays etc which kids enjoy. Camping is accessed by backpacking into various cabins, lean-tos or tent sites scattered throughout an extended forest with a large network of trails. There are three mountains, four if you ignore the New England col rule, all in the moderate to easy class. Two of the mountains are written up in the Vt Day hikers Guide.

Today I started out by following the Gallup Road ( trail ) past the short route up Spruce Mt, as today was one where I chose to do a longer walkabout. After gaining four hundred feet in about two miles I reached a junction with the Marquand road which leads down into a sheltered valley where there is a lean-to. Staying with the Gallup trail I turned south. Interestingly, at each trail jct the Merck people have posted a copy of the property map which shows the trails. It highlights where you are on the map at that jct.

Turning south the morning clouds had begun to burn off as I began a short stiff climb of about three hundred feet circling the south east slope of Spruce Mt. This section levels off into a rolling narrow path that is part grassy road part foot path through an open hardwood forest. After a short almost level stroll a hundred foot climb through a ravine leads to a shoulder of Spruce Mt and another trail jct. From here you can go either way to reach the summit.

The West trail ( Lodge Road ) is the shorter access to Spruce while the South leads around the mountain approaching it via a ridge leading south to north. I opted for the longer route. Climbing another two feet over a half mile along the South east slope brought extensive views toward the Dorset area. Due to the low cloud cover Dorset Mt could barely be seen but the view was impressive at any rate.

Upon reaching the trail jct with the Hatch Trail I again turned south descending three hundred feet to a broad col where I bushwhacked up two hundred feet to a wooded viewless unnamed summit. Why?, because I had never been to this 2400 foot bump and was curious. Well no point in going there it is not on any list and there is no view, though it is an open hardwood forest.

This brought with it the need to reclimb the three hundred feet I foolishly gave away to secure a wooded nameless Mt. But alas isn't that what walkabouts are for? Upon regaining that three hundred feet satisfied my curiosity was fed I turned west to follow the route to Spruce Mt. Upon reaching the Barton Trail which leads a half mile and two hundred feet to Spruce Mt I considered for a moment the option of continuing west avoiding the summit entirely.

Can't do that as the Barton trail is a narrow trail appearing seldom used that follows the ridge top to the summit of this nice Mountain. There are windows providing views from various points along the ridge until you reach the rocky outcrop. The view could be better as it is one directional on this almost 2600 foot peak. But what you have is fairly decent and worth the small effort it takes to get there. By going the long way around I managed to not see another person to this point.

From here the trail continues across the summit descending steeply yielding three hundred feet over loose rock that can be very slippery when wet. It appears to be slate but not certain of that. Following nearly level for a third of a mile or so the trail reaches a shoulder of the mountain called The Lookout which offers good views into New York. There is a choice of routes back to the parking area from here.

Below is a link to their website. As I said there are miles of possible routes and dozens of camping options making this ideal for begining backpacking or an introduction for kids to hiking in general. Both Spruce Peak and Mt Antone are worth the effort it takes to hike them.

As I said since I have seen no trip reports of this area here so I thought I'd mention it. Well worth a visit, especially for families new to backpacking and hiking with the additional attraction of the farm center displays. All of that is free but they do charge for camping. Also the cross country ski possibilities look good.

http://www.merckforest.com/