Cliff and Redfield 8/20

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattC

Reaction score
Ulster County, NY Avatar: Chapel Pond From Giant M
Jay H and I drove up Friday afternoon, making the Tahawus trailhead around 5 PM. Almost immediately we saw cars w/ VFTT stickers, one of which Jay recognized as Harry K's Tercel. In a very short time we met Cantdog, Pete Hickey (complete w/ ax!), Slamdog, Pat, Michael J and others (my apologies for forgetting the other names). They had all just returned from Marshall and were celebrating Pat's 46/115 completion. We chatted briefly and then Jay and I geared up and hit it. On the way in, we also saw Harry K, the Sikes, TeeJay, Al (ajtiv) and his kids and Lindu Lu, all of whom were also returning from Marshall. I was beginning to wonder if we'd see anyone not from the VFTT community!

By sundown we had made it into Flowed Lands, pitched Jay's tent, stashed the bear canister and settled down to try to get some zzzz. I don't know about Jay, but I slept a few hours until about 1:15 or so, when the rain woke me up. Then I dozed on and off until about 6. Eventually, we dragged ourselfs out of our bags to face the wet morning. Jay ate a bagel and I had a Clif Bar, then we broke camp and walked 3 more miles to Uphill Brook leanto where I made some oatmeal and we talked to three very cool young backpackers from Vermont. They had done Redfield and Gray on Friday and were doing Cliff in a little while. We left some of our weight at the leanto and hit it.

After more than three hours of going over, under, around, in and out of wet blowdown, through mud and puddles and up and down wet slabs and ledges, we had summited Cliff in a most glorious fashion. My boots and pants were a little wet. :D We saw our VT friends just as we were getting off the lower headwall on Cliff which is impressive and gives it it's name apparently. After a brief rest at the leanto w/ another backpacker who was headed from Marcy to Flowed Lands, we trotted up and down Redfield in about 2 and a half hours. Unlike the Cliff herd path, the one on Redfield was mostly free of blowdown. We got back to the leanto, packed up and had one more chat with the VT folks and set out on the return schlep. By Lake Colden I thought I would surely perish. We sat at the dam for a few moments rest and enjoyed the beauty of it all. Then we slogged on to Flowed Lands for a food break. After devouring much of a bag of chocolate raisins, I got an energy burst and was able to continue at a faster pace. Jay was his usual self, chugging consistently along.

We got into a pretty good rhythm and made it out by 8:30, not having to use headlamps at all. After changing and resting a bit, we hit the road for the Gathering at last! There was an amazing, huge, spooky moon gazing down at us as we traveled RT 2 east towards the Northway. We zoomed towards Keene praying that the Noonmark Diner would be open, and it was! We got our orders in just under the wire at 10, chowed down and hit it again. Then I stupidly drove about 20 miles out of our way, heading north on 9N. :( :rolleyes:

Jay got out the map and headlamp, figured it out and I turned around, went back to Keene and in another half an hour, we were pulling into Camp VFTT. It was about midnight, and amazingly ;) there were still a "few" folks awake. Actually, it was a roaring, Dionysian orgy of food, booze, trail stories, and general revelry. :cool:

We met many more VFTTers and had a blast until the wee hours and then got a bit of shuteye. Another early rise and a relaxing breakfast of Coldfeet's ample pancakes. (Thanks David!) Then lots of goodbyes as people rolled out.
I'll stop here to say HUGE thanks to Spencer and Maddie who I barely even met. Sorry we were only there for such a short time, but every minute was much appreciated and enjoyed, believe me. I'll also say it was a pleasure meeting all of you VFTTers (way too many to list). Special thanks to Neil from one musician to another-it was a pleasure jammin' w/ you. :cool:

Jay and Spongebob headed to do Noonmark, but I had soaked boots and wasn't up to hiking any more anyhow, so I had time to kill since Jay was riding back w/ me. Funky Freddy decided to not do Cascade with Coldfeet and his daughter, so he hung w/ me all morning. We had brunch at the Noonmark (good, but it took about 45 minutes to get our food!) then we had a relaxing hour picking our guitars and singing down at the little day use area by the Cascade Lakes. A lovely little place w/ a nice cool breeze. FF and I had been meaning to have a musical hang for a while, so this was a cool break from the trails for us.

Finally, I dropped Freddy back at Coldfeet's car, went back through Keene and picked up Jay. We said farewell to Spongebob who was leaving our magnificent state of New York for his shoddy ME environs once again. ;)
(stupid inside joke! please, other Mainers, don't attack me!). After a few more hours I was back in New Paltz and Jay was headed back to Jersey. Another great time in the ADKs, and I barely have time to catch my breath before heading back Tuesday evening! I probably won't be online for a week or so, so have fun everybody and I'll post again when I can. Again, it was great seeing and meeting everybody. :D :D :D

Matt

Last edited:
Another set of mountains I have to climb - so many mountains, so little time!
Matt, I had a lot of fun on Sunday. We will have to play again soon, maybe learn a few more Dylan tunes for HarryK's benefit as well as our own :D Thanks, Fred