OJI in Baxter - best Route?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Bear

Reaction score
I'll be in Baxter next week and I'd love to climb OJI. I've climbed the 4 other peaks in the Brothers range, but when I did Coe it was rainy and the was no view. So I'm thinking I'll go up the Coe Slide, over to Coe (and get that view I missed) and then down to the col and over to OJI (for more views).

Any other ideas? What if I went up one of the OJI slides (I guess the south slide is the norm) and then over to Coe and back to OJI. Would that be better?

In either case it would involve going down some of the slides as well as up. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Of course I'm assuming a nice day with dry slides.

Thanks

Heartily recommend your route to O-J-I

I went up the North slide and down the South. the S slide was no big deal. The N slide was scary with very smooth, polished steep rock. definitely a route to avoid even if you are a pretty good friction climber, views are nice however so the peakis worth the trip.

I did the loop clockwise. Note that the north slide is officially closed and is somewhat hard to follow in places down low in the hardwoods. The blazes are few and far between. The first part of the steep stuff is difficult up slabs that had running water on them when I did it. Above that, it's loose gravel on the slide. Easy to follow the cairns though once you are out of the woods.

The south slide was much easier to follow (duh, it's still maintained!).

I haven't done the trip over from Coe, but it seems extraneous unless you have another agenda (other view you missed?)

spencer