Winter Boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
Winter threads already! :eek:
I'm looking for winter boots and my problem is that my feet freeze easily. Last year I was fine down to neg 10 with ankle-cut Sorels that have an inner booty, 2 prs. of wool sox AND foot warmers. The trouble with that setup is that the Sorels have no shank and going up steep slopes with crampons or snowshoes was real hard on my calves.

So I'm looking for a setup that'll keep my tootsies warm and give me support underfoot. I won't be doing much camping, maybe one night all winter. I've looked over the big plastic boots and they are very heavy and expensive.

What works for you?

Koflach's on Ebay

A good way of testing out platic boots is to buy them second hand. You can buy them on eBay or towards the end of the season from guiding services. Last I checked EMS's climbing guides division was offering a bunch of second boots at ~1/2 price.

I bought mine on eBay, they had been worn on only a few trips and while not new, seem to be just as good as new.

We both use Columbia Ice Dragon's which are rated to something like -40 and work well with a strap on crampon. My (Bob) feet get colder than Geri's regardless of what boot I use. I tried plastic boots and found them to be no warmer. I still use the plastic boots since I like the ease of the step in crampon however.

I have been using Sorel Conquest. They have a fiberglass shank, rated to -40, they have a built in gaitor, and are very comfortable. Also not to hard on the wallet. I have been very happy using them. I use them for over nights, I just put them in my sleeping to keep them from freezing.

Sounds like you should be looking at insulated double boots, leather or plastic. There is a nice (Feb 2003) review of same at: http://climbing.com/equipment/boots218/

I use double leather mountaineering boots (full steel shank), but the model is no longer available (Galibier Makalu).

Not cheap unless you can get them second hand.

A supergaiter can help with the warmth.

Doug

Last edited:
This (Merrell Winterra) was a nice shoe for me last winter. Cheap, rugged, warm enough, stiff enough for my G10's.

I wouldn't (obviously) do any technical climbing in them but for dayhikes they're fine.

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
This (Merrell Winterra) was a nice shoe for me last winter. Cheap, rugged, warm enough, stiff enough for my G10's.

I wouldn't (obviously) do any technical climbing in them but for dayhikes they're fine.

-Dr. Wu

Dr Wu, which boot is this? There is a picture but no description.

BTW Neil, this is a great thread.

Puck said:
Dr Wu, which boot is this? There is a picture but no description.

BTW Neil, this is a great thread.
Eh, Neil will just buy anything anyhow! :p :p :p

Just Kidding... It appears however that the winterra is no longer made by Merrell.

I've had good luck with Merrells. They're cheap & not flashy but have served their purpose well enough. I have winter boots, hiking boots, low cut hiking shoes and city shoes. Their size 9.5 toe box just so happens to be made for my foot so it works...

-Dr. Wu

I have also used the Columbia Ice Dragons with great success. They're lightweight, supportive, warm, comfortable and have a nice sole. As Bob stated, they work well with strap-in crampons.

They do have stiff uppers and required some minor break-in. You will need to wear gaiters with them, given that they are relatively short for a winter boot.

Marty

I have those as well...

dr_wu002 said:

-Dr. Wu

I would have to second the vote for the Merrell Winterra's. They kept my feet nice and warm. I used a vapor barrier. This was important because no sweat got into them that would freeze overnight. The next morning they warmed right up after about half and hour. Very comfortable and light wieght for winter. Actually they where so comfortable I've toy'd with the idea of using them in summer (might be to warm).

hey Neil

i use to get coold feet, now i use mid wt, Alpacka socks, Koflach plastic double boot, altitude ventigater by mountain hardwear, and at night to keep the tootsies warm i use down slippers. the boots seem like they will or would be tough to walk in all day but thier not, they just have a different feel to them when your on a mixed climb. Also if you squeeze your feet into a boot and thier isn't enough room for your foot to breath (circulate blood) they will get cold

safe adventures
canoehead

Imo

I have always thought double plastic boots are overused for normal winter hiking. Day trips that don't include technical ice climbing IMO don't require double plastic boots. Now I do understand that it is a personal prefrence. Some might feel more safe, or warm, or something else in double plastic. I for one thought wearing them was like wearing ski boots to hike in, but less comfortable. Neil start in a Sorel or another winter hiking boot like the Merrell Winteras. For overnight use double plastic boots are nice because you can remove the inners, but in my use the winteras did just fine overnight (using vapor barriers). Try lots of various stuff before heading out. You can rent double plastic boots at IME in N. Conway and boots like the winteras feel like regular hiking boots (except warm), and Sorels are softer (usually). Good luck!

I bought a pair of a winter sport boots from Cabelas as mentioned in Kevin's post. For the most part, my feet have been comfortable and warm. However, it's critical that you get a boot with a stiff shank. I find my boots lacking in the steeps and when I have to wear crampons for an extended time. They aren't stiff enough to kick steps and my big toes go numb after awhile in crampons. They have been very comfortable wearing snow shoes. Despite their shortcomings, they will be my boots of choice for most winter hiking.

Take care,
Glenn

I love my Columbia Excellerators, a waterproof single boot good to -40. Much more support than your basic Sorel, and they take a strap-on crampon nicely. And much lighter than plastics.

CAUTION: If you already have crampons, be sure to bring them along when you're shopping for new boots, and make sure they fit. All crampons do not fit all boots.