Putting a Down Bag in the Dryer?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Periwinkle

Reaction score
I just washed my summer weight down bag for the first time (ya, I know, GROSS!, but nevermind that for a moment :)). The instructions said not to dry it in a dryer, but it's a flat as a bloody pancake! Would tossing it in on low heat bring the loft back a little, or am I just going to nuke the whole thing by putting it in the dryer?

Last edited:
I've dried mine numerous times and it seems OK but, unlike you, I never bothered to read the manufacturer's recommendations. I just did it.

I washed a TNF down jacket recently and it came out of the dryer lumpy. Definitely, put in a couple of hard objects to keep that from happening. I spent an hour rearranging the down.

Down in dryers

I worked for a brief while in Berkeley CA for a guy who specialized in cleaning down equipment (jackets, sleeping bags, etc.) and his practice was to always dry the equipment in the dryer at normal temps. The idea of putting something in the dryer (tennis ball, clean sneaker) is important to break up the lumps as well as create some static electricity that also helps fluff up the down. Just keep an eye on the process. Don't just stick it in the dryer on hot and walk off for 45 min. or something.

The dryer on low or just air is SOP, but if the tag warns against it maybe there is something we don't know?!?!

if you do put it in a dryer on low heat, make sure you remove the bag before the dryer comes to a stop. The bag is so billowy that part of it may come to rest on the area where the hot air enters on top and could melt your bag.

Reactions: yam
bcskier said:
I worked for a brief while in Berkeley CA for a guy who specialized in cleaning down equipment (jackets, sleeping bags, etc.)

Another trick of his was to wash the equipment in a tumble i.e. front-loading washer and never an agitator type washer and always to individually bag each item in a mesh bag before it went into the washer. The fear was that the action of the washer could tear the stiching in the baffles and cause the down to shift. Take the item out of the mesh bag for drying however.

Last edited:
Did you wash the bag with liquid detergent?

If you used regular liquid detergent that could be causing some of the lumpiness. Does it feel heavy? If you did then I would wash it again with just water to get some more of the detergent out. If you didn't then just dry with some tennis balls and it should fluff back up.

Down Bag in the Dryer?

undefinedI too have done the dryer with tennis balls and no heat for my down dog beds...that's what the manufacturer intructed....and they dogs never complained.

I guess I'm going out to get some new tennis balls. Thanks for the idea. (Using the dog-slimed tennis balls hanging around the house kinda defeats the purpose!)

I never had this problem with washing my other bag in my front loader. I MISS my front loader. I'm currently stuck with a machine I call "the mangler" and "the nuclear reactor" dryer. Good advice about not walking away from the dryer -- I would melt the nylon using this nasty old appliance.

Tough call on the detergent question. We have very wierd water here. I don't know if it's hard or soft. All I know is I have to use less than 1/2 the recommended detergent or bubbles foam out of the top of the machine -- The Rabid Mangler!

If all fails, I'll have to wash it again at Mommie Dearest's the next time I go to visit!

Thanks to all for the suggestions!

Part of the reason it is not suggested you use a dryer is the baffles that keep the down in thier "tubes" can be broken by the m,otion of a dryer . I wash my down gear by hand yes it takes longer than let them dry I try not ot hand them but let them sit open in a ventilated clean area . Even if you do not have a lot of space I lucky and do. I have had a room with drying down stuff . . What you whant to od is use a mild detergent and get as much of the oils from your body out of the down and let i dry and fluff up on it's own. keep in mind i got this adives from some one who worked at Western Mountaneering. I would imagine they know what they ar talking about .

One time when I dried a sleeping bag on low heat the nylon zipper partially melted. These days, I hang it on a line in my basement for about a week then take it to a laundramat and fluff it up in a big machine with no heat.

I have also washed many down items, and have used a few methods. I have washed them in the washer, and dried them on the line, which took about a week with numerous "fluffings" by hand.

In the dryer I added 4 new tennis balls, which did break up the clumps, but still took about 2 hours to dry on low-medium heat. Even then it wasn't fully dry.

I am also fearful of the dryer stopping and melting the outer cover.

use of a liner

One of the best things you can do for your down sleeping bag is to use a lightweight liner to keep it clean. I started using one after the hood of my down bag got crusty from old dirty hiking head sweat. For years I used an old sheet cut down to size, folded and sewn into a bag shape. Now I use an even lighter washable silk liner. It allows use of a lighter bag and adds (subtracts) several degrees to the bag's temp rating. It easily fits in the stuff sack with the sleeping bag and I wouldn't be without it. Most summer nights I just sleep inside the liner with the bag under me. The sleeping bag stays clean and only the liner needs to be washed.

Just an update: The tennies in the dryer worked. Did they ever -- it took some doing to get the sleeping bag in the stuff sack yesterday! Tres fluffy! Thanks, folks!!!