darn socks!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arghman

Reaction score
Goffstown, NH Avatar: No Once-lers or thneeds
I have 15+ pairs of Smartwool socks. They are great -- I bought one about four or five years ago and have stopped wearing cotton ever since.

Problem is, they tend to wear out after a year or two at the back of the heel. Is there anyplace that fixes (darns) wool socks for a reasonable price (say <$5 / pair)? If not, is it worth donating them to goodwill or something -- socks with a small hole are better than no socks I suppose :confused:

I don't know of anyplace that fixes them but if you wanted to try it yourself here's som info - hope it helps.

I've never actually tried this so I can't vouch for its durrability or ease of operation. If you do decide to try it, let us know how it works, otherwise I'm sure goodwill would be happy to take them (as long as they're clean :D )

http://www.ehow.com/how_648_darn-sock.html

Repaired socks would be fine for around the town wear IMHO

When you darn the socks you will invariably be creating a seam. That seem will be in a high friction area, hence the hole. That seem will invariably create more friction than the smooth patch that was fixed, possiblt leading to blisters on a long hike.

My recomendation would be to use newer socks for long hikes and when they start to wear, retitre them to everyday use and then the repairs would be fine for everyday wear.

smartwool socks are the greatest. expensive as hell, but i'd be willing to pay more than their price. i hope some marketer out there isn't doing research preparing to gouge us all now.

I'd say that if you're getting two years out of your Smartwools that's pretty good. Smartwool is just that, it's wool that's been processed to not have the itchy feeling that typically goes along with being wool. But it's still a natural fiber that with the pressure of being walked on will wear out faster than a synthetic. But like others have said...I love Smartwool socks. They are my absolute favorite. Especially the Adrenaline series.

Mine all wear out there, too! Then when doing laundry, I put them back in Joanna's drawer and take hers. When she catches me, I just say, "well, I'll have to buy some new ones, then."

She figures that's the lesser of evils and agrees :)

I buy mine at one of the 2 LL Bean outlets I frequent and that saves a lot of money. They sell the ones with discolored threads (and other such preposterous defects) for much cheaper than retail.

spencer

spencer said:
I buy mine at one of the 2 LL Bean outlets I frequent and that saves a lot of money. They sell the ones with discolored threads (and other such preposterous defects) for much cheaper than retail.
me too, I just bought 4 pairs of those "Adrenaline" things (don't get the name :confused: but they're comfy, I have one pair on right now) on Saturday, $6 ea.

I hate throwing away good socks though :( and I have no sewing skills :( fixing a button is about as far as I can go and even that's somewhat taxing.

By the way, I also knit and I wouldn't touch a pair of smartwools. I've knitted a couple of pairs of socks (among other things) but I'm no pro. I wouldn't even know where to begin with such fine yarn.

As Bobcat said, darning will produce a seam. Socks I've repaired that way just get used for walking around the house...

spencer

truepatriot09 said:
Smartwool is just that, it's wool that's been processed to not have the itchy feeling that typically goes along with being wool.
Not quite. Smartwool uses Merino wool which is wool from Merino sheep. (Merino sheep are a breed of sheep.) Merino wool has a much smaller fiber diameter than does, for instance, ragg wool. The finer fiber wool is not nearly as itchy as a coarser fiber wool.

Merino wool is also used in non-scratchy wool underwear.

Doug