ADK Rock Peak Ridge Tent Site

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtn.goat

Reaction score
According to the ADK map I have there is a tent site about a mile east of Rocky Peak Ridge located on or near a small pond. Does anyone have any information on this tentsite? Is there a reliable water source nearby? Any other information that would be helpful?

Marie Louise Pond?

The pond sits just under 4000' elevation, so it meets the elevation criteria. I went through that area this time last year, but didn't notice any designated campsites. I imagine if you got off the trail a sufficient distance you would be ok.

bridgeman said:
Marie Louise Pond?

The pond sits just under 4000' elevation, so it meets the elevation criteria. I went through that area this time last year, but didn't notice any designated campsites. I imagine if you got off the trail a sufficient distance you would be ok.

Don't you have to camp in a designated site above 3500' with the new Giant Mountain Wilderness UMP? If there is a designated site near Marie Louise Pond go ahead and camp there. I have filtered the water out of the pond in the past with no ill effects.

I'd be surprised if its a designated campsite area. Because its located in a scenic and sensitive area, probably best for the mountain if folks did not camp there.

Thanks for the quick replies. I guess I'll go and check it out and see. I agree that it does seem to be in a scenic area and such. I'll be hammock camping so I would be very low impact but I'll use my best judgement when i get there. I can't wait... 24 hours and counting until I get to spend a few days backpacking in the HP. The monster mileage, elevation backpack is about to begin :D ! I'll be in the great range, dial/nippletop, giant wilderness, lake colden area this weekend so keep a lookout for a young guy backpacking with a green GraniteGear pack if you're in the area. I'll be moving quick so it won't be hard spotting me... feel free to say hello... there's nothing like meeting fellow VFTTers while you're out in the wilderness!

Peakbagr said:
I'd be surprised if its a designated campsite area. Because its located in a scenic and sensitive area, probably best for the mountain if folks did not camp there.

It IS on the map, but it's NOT in the narrative in the current guidebook. Lumberzac is correct about the camping regulation (over 3500 ft. camping at designated sites only). The book DOES mention only two currently designated sites above 3500 ft.: Sno-Bird and Lake Arnold.

I'm sure you want to do the right thing. As you know, no-impact, high- elevation camping isn't just about fire rings, tent footprints, and campfires.
There really isn't an environmentally-sound place to camp or hang a hammock where you'd suggested, and of coursem the unpleasant reality of human waste...If you go to the Giant-Rocky col, and then drop a bit further, you should find, water, trees, and a below 3,500' spot to spend the night.
Have fun on your jaunt.

Yeah you're right. On second thought I'll try to find somewhere below 3500' and avoid that area. The more i thought about it the more I realized it would probably be a bad idea and i would cause more harm than good.