Trapdike alternatives

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddy

Reaction score
Hey all, In the planning mode for a three day trip this fall. Last year we did the Trapdike and had a wonderful time. We had clear weather on the way up, but upon summiting we lost our views to low clouds. That's 3 for 3 viewless visits on Colden. I know it will be worth it when the day comes, and climbing the dike in limited visibility was fun anyway. I'm considering doing it again but I'm also considering other options. My group and I are comfortable and competent off trail and were looking for other slide climbs that might compare to the Trapdike in beauty, and exhilaration. We were comfortable in the dike and on the slides, but I would say the waterfall scramble is at our comfortable limit. We like to hike to a base camp then day hike from there. Any suggestions for other adventures. We've done the Dix slides from the Elk lake Hunter pass side in winter and the Dix slide from the Dial pond side. Also the bear canasters sound like a nusance(esp. with perfectly good cables avalible), so if we were out of the required area, so much the better, but I wouldn't avoid a really good climb for that reason alone. Any thoughts,suggestions? Bushwhacken Buddy

Eagle Slide on Giant. A must do. You could camp at the top of Roaring Brook Falls and day hike the slide. You won't be saving much time with the camp but if you must.

I agree the Eagle is the next best climb.

Another option would be the Lake Placid slide on Whiteface. Could be combined with a canoe camping trip if that's to your liking.

buddy said:
Also the bear canasters sound like a nusance(esp. with perfectly good cables avalible),

In the Adirondacks, all the bears are "smarter than the average bear". Do not trust your food to a cable!!! This is not direct experience, but I've read and heard enough stories to know that the bears have figured out how to get food out of packs up on cables.