Cave Dog's Latest Challenge

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool. I met members of the Marshall family two summer's ago at a 46er event (very nice people, and loved the great Bob and George Marshall stories) who still spend a lot of time at the family camp where the two sons grew up. If they are up there for Thanksgiving that could make a great event to have them congratulate Cavedog in Lake Placid for his finish. I would love to be there for that. Bob would have loved to talk trails with Cavedog!

I like his final rule:

"The ultimate goals of the adventure are to have fun, to try to achieve something unique, and to broaden one's horizons. Although there are percise rules, they are merely guidelines to give a goal to strive for. The rules themselves are not the goal. If the rules get in the way of the goal, they should be forgotten forthrightly."

He knows where it's at.

It does sound like another very interesting adventure!

A Trip Report worth reading!

Tim Seaver said:
Duofold Hike 50 Challenge Sounds like another great adventure!

The Trip Report by Bob Marshall (in 1932!) of his 14 ADKs in 1 day (Cave Dog's intended route) is just amazing!

Here are a few quotes:

"In fact, it [the accomplishment] would fit perfectly in a class with flagpole sitting and marathon dancing as an entirely useless type of record, made only to be broken, were it not that I had such a thoroughly glorious time out of the entire day."

"I was chiefly impressed ... by the joy of running down hill at 5:00 in the morning through the dewy raspberry bushes, and feeling how good it was to be young ..."

"I had wondered whether, after three summers and a winter of exploration in Arctic Alaska, I could still recapture any of the sense of wilderness I had always gotten from Haystack. Gloriously enough, I did. It was still possible to forget the automobiles and machinery of the present in the vista from this rocky summit, from which only in the extreme distance could any signs of man's meddlesome ways be observed."

It also brings up a few questions:

1. Marshall writes that he could see all 46 high peaks from Marcy. Is this true?

2. Has anyone else ever tried to better Marshall's time (18h 40m with 13,600' of gain), or the number of ADKs in 1 day?

Good luck Cave Dog!

Tom Rankin said:
It also brings up a few questions:

1. Marshall writes that he could see all 46 high peaks from Marcy. Is this true?

2. Has anyone else ever tried to better Marshall's time (18h 40m with 13,600' of gain), or the number of ADKs in 1 day?

Good luck Cave Dog!

1. I believe you can only see 43 (plus Marcy beneath you) summits, yet you can see part of Grace, and possibly some of Couchy. So, if you see the side or foot of mountain I guess you have technically seen it...

2. Cavedog (IIRC) summitted something like 25 peaks in a 24 hour period during his run, with lots of elevation in there as well. I think Sharp Swan probably bettered it to when he set the previous record.

Wow, do I love reading that trip report. Probably one of the greatest ever written! I never get tired of it, thanks for posting the link, Tom.

Bob seemed excited to have others shooting to better records, though describing them in poetic reverence with great local lore as flavor also seemed a prerequisite to his accomplishments. I think he would probably like what Cd is doing.

I have plans with a small troupe of 46ers for repeating this feat for the 75th anniversary (July 2007), but it won't be to beat times (not that I could) but just to follow in his footsteps. Should be a blast ... all day of it ...

Now, how about having 46er #1 bring you lunch on top of Marcy, and then tromp out over Algonquin and Wright with you! At age 62!!! Way to go Herbert Clark!

Doc McPeak said:
Bob seemed excited to have others shooting to better records, though describing them in poetic reverence with great local lore as flavor also seemed a prerequisite to his accomplishments. I think he would probably like what Cd is doing.
I think so too. Here is something Cave Dog just wrote:

"The Historic Iditarod Trail was spectacular. The tundra was in full fall colors, casting off blankets of reds, yellows, and greens. The quaking aspens covered the lower hillsides with fluttering brilliant yellows. The glacial features also offered a striking beauty. An iridescent blue emanated from the deep crevasses. Small glaciers peeked out from many of the upper valleys. Raven and Eagle Glaciers were massive and beautiful. While hiking down the main U shaped valley, hanging valleys carved out by smaller glaciers were visible at regular intervals. The streams were milky white from dense glacier silt. Beavers could be seen busily doing repairs on their infrastructures. A large black bear across the valley could be seen eating ground cover, and a handful of doll sheep clung to the craggy mountain walls. Crow Pass, barren of vegetation, provided its own austere beauty of scree and old mining relics. There was a major glacial meltwater ford that took five minutes to cross. It was very cold. All in all, it was a fantastic and memorable day."

It doesn't seem like his pace causes him to miss much!

Geo