high school student needs partners for senior project

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossgoddard

Reaction score
hello,
i'm going to my senior year at a private highschool in massachusetts, and part of the graduation requirment is a senior project. THIS SATURDAY, IF I CAN FIND ANY TAKERS I PLAN ON DOING THE KINSMANS- rossgoddard at yahoo dot com I have decided to complete the 48 as my project, take pictures, and give a powerpoint on my hikes, and the whites. I am looking for companions to come along for many of the hikes, as the school is requiring i don't "go climb any of those mountains solo" due to liability.
please email me at rossgoddard at yahoo dot com if interested in any of these... i have a car, so carpooling form greater boston is an option...

adams
cabot
cannon
carrigan
the carters
eisenhower
field
garfield
hale
hancock/s. hancock
jackson
madison
monroe
moosilakue
moriah
osceola/ e. osceola
owls head
passaconway
pierce
tecumseh
tom
tripyramid group
wasington
wambeck
whiteface
wildcat/wildcat d
willey

Last edited:
rossgoddard said:
hello,
i'm going to my senior year at a private highschool in massachusetts, and part of the graduation requirment is a senior project. I have decided to complete the 48 as my project, take pictures, and give a powerpoint on my hikes, and the whites. I am looking for companions to come along for many of the hikes, as the school is requiring i don't "go climb any of those mountains solo" due to liability....

A lot of us will be up in the whites this weekend, for http://www.flagsonthe48.org

Watch the Trips & Events forum, as well as posting your own specific plans in there. It's likely you'll quickly find takers to accompany you. The only catch is that you're running out of time if you want to be done in the spring. I would hit the peaks whose trailheads aren't accessible in the winter, first. Carrigain, the Twins, Galehead, Garfield, Jefferson all come to mind. If you're not an experienced winter hiker, get Adams, Madison, Washington, Monroe, Eisenhower, Lincoln, Lafayette, and the Bonds done first as well. Finally, the long slogs of Zealand and Isolation I think are easier on bare ground. Owl's Head is a fine cross-country ski in, but then ascending the slide in winter is rather dangerous.

Just some thoughts. You've got September and October and some of November to tag what you can before the snow and ice really arrive!
:)

the peaks that i did not include in my first post have been done by me.
I also have the month of may to do whatever i don't hit in the fall. I am an experienced ice climber, so i plan to hit a few via ice and snow this winter (wash, wildcat, moosilakue, others?) It's a good idea to look into winter/spring access.
This weekend, if I can find someone, i plan to do the kinsmans on saturday, and if i cant find any takers, i plan on doing cannon
peace
Harrison

Why not head up with one of the Flags on the 48 groups? Take a look at the Trips and Routes forum on the web site for the Kinsman start times and trailheads, and tag along. Being a part of Flags will also make for an excellent addition to your project.

D'oh! Sorry - Flags is on Sunday and you're looking to hike on Saturday. My bad.

Last edited:
i just got a pm from someone on the kinsman trip. i'm going to go do cannon with somne folks form school on saturday, and kinsman with the flags folks on sunday. thanks!
-Harrison

just a thought - it would be very interesting to read trip reports from you as you do this project. In fact, your contributions to Views From the Top -in a sense a kind of community service - could also be part of your senior project. Us older folk sometimes worry about who will be the next stewards of the natural world, and it looks like you might just fit the bill. Best wishes