Eastern approach to Dix

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddy

Reaction score
Has anybody approached Dix from the east. I'm looking at approaching Dix along the south fork of the Boquet river then taking the stream bed up into the eastern watershed of Dix. I've climbed the shoulder up to the ridge and over the Beckhorn from that direction and have always found looking down into the eastern bowl quite alluring. It looks extremely rugged and isolated.
We tried whacking over from the shoulder in winter but ran out of light before we came to what from the top looks like alot of open terrain. Anybody have any experience with this area? Buddy

I did that exact trip, summer solo, some years ago because I was interested in the narrow slide that's so visible running up toward the Beckhorn.

It was a great trip. Here's the beta:

I followed the "Hunter's Herd Path" along the Boquet (the descriptions in the adk guide for this path are outdated; I can give you a lot of detail).

The trail passes the so called "Rock of Gibraltar" at 3.1 miles, and then shortly thereafter turns down and left to the bank of a brook. There are two roughly parallel brooks here. The Easterly one is the S Fork; the Westerly one (which you come to first) is the tributary that flows from Dix.

Follow the Dix tributary as it runs SW and then more W. The brook bed will widen into flat rock slabs that make for easy walking, and will bring you into a more open area near the base of the Beckhorn slide.

The slide itself is pretty moderate. It's narrow and quite dirty. There is a cliff barrier about 12 feet high about halfway up, which I bushwhacked and clambered around on the left. Towards the release zone the last bit is a little steep. Climbing shoes might increase the comfort level.

The slide ends near the top of the ridge, but there's still about 150' to bushwhack up to the trail. Needless to say, there is no herd path at the top of this obscure slide. It was about the toughest 150' I've done, crawling, swimming, you know the deal.

I actually went back down through the woods from the Dix Hough col, but it might be easier to return via the Round Pond Dix trail (which will give you about a two mile road walk). If you want a longer trip, you could return over Hough, South and East, and down the East Dix slide (shallow and a pretty easy walk down). The East Dix slide dumps you directly onto the end of the "Hunter's Path" for your trip out.

Looking forward to the report!

TCD

ditto!

TCD!
I must be following in your footsteps. We did that route last year and I agree that the brook was incredibly easy going and the b/w to the ridge was like swimming uphill. Rock shoes saved me, but that could be because my hikers are Montrail Vitesse.....

I have been interested in this route ever since I saw the eastern face of dix from Route 9 (heading south from Elizabethtown). I'm going to check it out in a few weeks, as long as there isn't any significant accumulation of ice on the slide.

I happened to find some pics on webshots that show a winter ascent of the slide. I thought others interested in this rarely climbed slide might enjoy these cool shots.

Link:
http://community.webshots.com/album/240724528qvNllB/1