Are there tent sites at Beaver Brook Shelter, places to camp

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LscotB

Reaction score
Will be hiking in Friday afternoon/early evening and hiking Mt Moosilauke on Saturday. Would like a tent platform and a privy. This will be girlfriends first real, overnight backpacking trip. Four weeks ago she would never have done this, but after taking her to Mt Wonalancet and Mt Lafayette, hiking is getting into her blood. She's willing to give an overnight a try.

Any other suggestions for a first overnight hike and climb to a high peak?

Thanks,
Scot

LscotB said:
Will be hiking in Friday afternoon/early evening and hiking Mt Moosilauke on Saturday. Would like a tent platform and a privy.
I believe there are 2 dirt pads for tents, one is rather wet. The ground is sloping and it's hard to make your own in the area - don't know is this is part of the new ATC plan to reduce use of shelter areas by locating them where extra tenting is poor.

The tent platforms at Nauman (near Mizpah hut) are nicer in my opinion than Beaver Brook. Beaver Brook has a nice shelter with a great view on a beautiful mountain, but the tenting kinda stinks.

If you are looking to hike 4Ks, Nauman tentsite is near both Jackson and Pierce. There is a small fee for tenting here, but it's near the hut, where there is a bathroom and warm soup!!

Either way, have fun!

RoySwkr said:
I believe there are 2 dirt pads for tents, one is rather wet. The ground is sloping and it's hard to make your own in the area - don't know is this is part of the new ATC plan to reduce use of shelter areas by locating them where extra tenting is poor.
There are two tent pads up there. When we built them they were level and dry. Perhaps the DOC needs to plan a worktrip up there this fall, I'll suggest it to the trails director. It would definately be better if you camped in the spots provided and not try to find another spot close to the shelter.

-dave-