Hiking the Great Gulf Headwall

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlennS

Reaction score
I'm in trip planning mode. I was thinking of hiking the Great Gulf trail to the Gulfside trail. I'm going to do it as an overnighter. I understand the trail up the headwall is pretty steep. That's about all I know about it. How does it compare to other trails such as the slides on North Trypryramid or Owl's Head?

Also is the Lizzie Bourne monument still on Mt. Washington? If so, where can I find it? I have this weird interest in finding it after reading the Lizzie Bourne chapter in "Not Without Peril."

Thanks,
Glenn

Glenn:

My recollection is that its just plain steep. I don't recall the footing being that bad in general, just steep and long. I enjoyed it, great opportunity to stop along the way and take pictures of the Gulf.

Like I generally say, if I could do it, I am sure you'll be fine. :)

Enjoy

Glenn,

The Great Gulf headwall is steep but there's no feeling of exposure like some might feel on the North Slide. There are lots of boulders, and loose scree that can be slippy: if you slip you won't slide much. I wouldn't care to descend it, though, especially with a big pack. Castle Ravine is similar.

Lizzie Bourne

I was up there a couple weeks ago and the memorial is still there. Its right next to the cog track a few hundred yards from the top. Go down the Nelson Crag trail a bit from the summit to get close and rock hop over following the track.

Here's a picture of it if you want a taste.

There's another cross a little further up towards the summit from the Bourne one that must mark another death.

Ya the lower 2/3 is all rock and some loose stuff at the top as I remember it. It's a great climb, 1600' in 0.8miles. One down side is the cog. You get a lot of the acrid smoke under some weather conditions. Book does talk about loose footing.

Lizzie's momument is on the Nelson Crag tr as it crosses the cog RR.

It is steep, but as mentioned not exposed. I found it did drag on forever, though. As the trail gets near the ridgetop, it bends to the left which seems to extend the agony (mine, anyway). You could see and hear people above you, but I still had 45 more minutes of climbing.

Go for it! That was my first backpacking trip & probably one of my favorite. Nothing at all like the N. Slide on Tripyramid.
What's your destination and how many days are you out for?

GlennS said:
Also is the Lizzie Bourne monument still on Mt. Washington? If so, where can I find it? I have this weird interest in finding it after reading the Lizzie Bourne chapter in "Not Without Peril."

Weird interest? Could it have something to do with the fact that tomorrow is the 150th anniversary of her death??? Maybe she is calling you...

glenn - planning to head up it weekend of 9/24 with a small group. camping in the great gulf somewhere - you are free to join us. PM me if interested - (actually anyone can come)

Thanks to all who provided info. The hike up the headwall sounds like fun.

I'm planning on spending a couple nights in the Great Gulf; probably the first weekend in October. The first day, I'm planning on setting up camp around the Buttress/Great Gulf junction and heading up to Washington, hanging around on the summit for a while and down the Wamsutta Trail. The second day, I'm off to points North; maybe up the Six Husbands and down the Buttress. I'll pack lots of Vitamin I. :eek: All this is weather dependent of course. I don't want them putting up a monument to me along side the Lizzie Bourne marker. :D

Thanks again,
Glenn

I ascended the AGreat Gulf with my 10 yr old son the weekend before Labor Day. We hiked in the Great Gulf Trail ~ 5 miles and camped at the furthest campsite southwest of the Wamsutta trail- beautiful camping area with several sites. Note- the campsites at the Wamsutta trail junction have been closed due to an abundance of dead trees (fir wave). The trail up the head wall was steep, slow with loose rocks beginning about 1/2 way up the headwall. My son did an awesome job, climbing from the campsite to the summit in about 4.5 hrs. Recognize that he moves slowly and smells many roses. However, we played cat and mouse with two groups carrying full packs from just past our campsite to the top rim of the headwall. So if youre carrying a full pack the hike times may be similar. We chose to descend via the Wamsutta trail back to our campsite. Although this trail was very steep in places, it made for better footing especially once past the boulders near Ball Crag and Nelson Crag. the Great Gulf Headwall is a great ascent route and one my son will remeber for a very long time.