Looking for info on ridge hikes (like Franconia)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulsueoz

Reaction score
Hi - My husband and I are experienced day hikers. We love hikes that have a lot of ridge hiking. Of course, the Franconia Ridge Trail was the best. We've done that once and will do it again but would like to find other hikes that have a decent amount of ridge hiking. Thought people on this website might have a lot of suggestions! Thanks, sue

Saddleback and the Horn in Maine; the Baldfaces; the Gulfside in the Northern Presidentials.
Although technically not ridgewalks, the Northern Presis have a number of trails that have long distances above treeline, such as Lowe's Path and the Castle Trail. If you try Lowe's Path, I recommend ascending rather than descending. It's rocky, and I spent all the time watching my feet and not enough gazing at the view. The Spur Trail is a much better descent alternative.

Montalban Ridge

One of my spring hikes this year was the the southern Montalban Ridge via Mt Stanton Tr, over Mt Stanton, Mt Pickering, The Crippies and Mt Langdon. It's got numerous views, a nice variety of scenery and alot of upsndowns. Nothing too strenuous and the highest peak is only 2390', but still an enjoyable hike. Only saw a couple other hikers all day.

The ridge continues north into the Presis from Landgon (via Mt Parker, Mt Resolution and Stairs Mtn), but I haven't checked out that part yet.

rocksnrolls said:
One of my spring hikes this year was the the southern Montalban Ridge via Mt Stanton Tr, over Mt Stanton, Mt Pickering, The Crippies and Mt Langdon. It's got numerous views, a nice variety of scenery and alot of upsndowns. Nothing too strenuous and the highest peak is only 2390', but still an enjoyable hike. Only saw a couple other hikers all day.

The ridge continues north into the Presis from Landgon (via Mt Parker, Mt Resolution and Stairs Mtn), but I haven't checked out that part yet.

In late August we hiked the Davis Path to Mt. Crawford then on to Mt. Resolution and Mt Parker (Mt. Parker Trail) and down into Bartlett Village via Mt. Langdon Trail (car spot in Bartlett). I don't have our journal with me but I recall it was about 12-13 miles. All three are on the "52 with a View" list. It was a great day with outstanding views from all three peaks. Lots of views north to the Southern Presidential Ridge. Also many open ledges on the Davis Path/Mt. Crawford Spur and on the Mt. Parker Trail. Mt. Parker/Mt. Langdon Trails have many ups and downs but not particularly strenuous. Parts of the Mt. Parker Trail are growing in with brush and there are many blowdowns but the trail is not difficult to follow. One could easily add Stairs Mt. (another 52WAV) to this hike as a side trip. Stairs is a great destination because it can be seen from many other points in the Whites.

In no particular order:

NH:
Moats
Choroura
Southern Presidential Ridge
Northern Presidential Ridge
Montalban (Washington) Ridge
Chandler (Washington) Ridge
Carter Ridge
Baldfaces
Twin/Bond Range
Moosilauke
Signal Ridge (Carrigain)
Hancock Ridge (if you enjoy bushwhacking)
Kinsman Ridge
Kilkenny Ridge

ME (not as knowledgeable):
Mahoosuc Ridge
Bigelows
Katahdin
Brothers (BSP)
The Traveler

VT (not as knowledgeable):
Well, the entire Green Mountains are a ridge
Worcester Range

NY (ADKs):
Algonquin/Wright/Iriqouis
Marcy
Great Range

NY (Catskills):
Devil's Path
Escarpment Ridge
Blackhead/Blackdome Range
Slide Mountain Area

MA/CT:
Taconic Ridge (Lots and lots of open ridge walking here)

Canada:
Torngats -- Lots of open ridge walking here

Scotland:
Lots of open ridge walking here!

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
Bonds Traverse

Traversing the Bonds is a wonderful hike that can be done a few ways and as adayhike by most, or with overnight options at Guto, Galehead Hut or backcountry. When Zealand Road is open I think that is the place to start. the toughest climbing is done after the Zeacliffs. It is a long day, but not difficult. Many people get turned off by the nearly 20 mile distance and the final 5-7 miles being basically a road walk. I thought it was a perfect day!!

Giant-Rocky Ridge and beyond in the ADK's is very nice, and not as heavily hiked as some of the better known ridges listed above. It has fabulous views along the whole way due to forest fires in the distant past.