Haystack #46

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigAl

Reaction score
I started hiking the high peaks in 2002. Now I'm down to one remaining...Haystack. I plan to hike it Saturday, 9/17, with two of my boys, the other 45 were hiked alone. We'll be leaving the Loj around 6:00 AM, so should be celebrating with a glass of wine late morning. I hope the weather's decent for them...it'll be their first! The bonus will be that, on the way back, we can swing up Marcy if they want, making them "2ers"!

BigAl said:
I started hiking the high peaks in 2002. Now I'm down to one remaining...Haystack. I plan to hike it Saturday, 9/17, with two of my boys, the other 45 were hiked alone. We'll be leaving the Loj around 6:00 AM, so should be celebrating with a glass of wine late morning. I hope the weather's decent for them...it'll be their first! The bonus will be that, on the way back, we can swing up Marcy if they want, making them "2ers"!

Good luck on your 46 attempt of Haystack. You picked a real gem to finish on. Haystack is one of my favorites and I know your kids will be hooked after climbing it. Pray for a clear day cause the views are amazing. Again good luck and congrats ;)

congratulations BigAl.
This will be a day you and your boys will never forget.
drink it all in
walk down off that mountain in the long shadows
and count your blessings.

Good weekend for it I hope

Hey congrats on the 46th. I plan to finish my 45and 46 on Whiteface and Esther either 9/17 or 9/18. I plan on hiking with my wife, three kids ( the youngest of whom is now a 19er at age 10) and friends. If all goes as planned our numbers should be pretty close- I guess I'll see you at the dinner in May! Loved the view from Haystack. Hope the kids like it. Then you can do round two!

Good luck and congratulations! We finished on Haystack. I hope you have better weather luck than we did. Here's how the day went: sunny day at campsite, sunny day on Little Haystack but with ominous clouds in the distance, foggy ascent of Haystack, zero visability on summit, foggy descent, sunny day at campsite. Needless to say, we're going back!

Congrats for Haystack and your 46th. Great mountain to finish on. Wardy and I will be looking over from the Sewards to see the celebration. We're right behind you and hope too finish within the next couple of weeks. slamdog

Good luck on your attempt on Haystack...it's a real gem...remote, rugged, great rock scrambling, great views. My first attempt on Haystack was in unbelievable fog and wind with my two boys...we ended up turning back. I hope your kids like the hike becuase there is nothing like hiking with them. Pray for good weather!

Pat

Good luck, BigAl. Wish I had saved something more interesting than TableTop for mine!

If your boys ever become 46ers, it'll be impressive to see Haystack recorded as their first peak. :cool:

Haystack for #46...me, too

I also plan for Haystack to be #46, hopefully this year. I only have the Sewards and Saddleback/Basin to go before Haystack. Long ago, when I started (*cough* 1973 *cough*) the fashion was to finish on a trailess peak so you could wax philosophical in the register. Alas, we have no more registers, so I think Haystack is an excellent choice because you can *see* so much of your accomplishment all around you.

ADK Rick